Banana Nutella Chimichangas

Breakfast tacos are a decidedly Texan way to start the day.  My Mom makes the best potato, bacon and egg breakfast tacos with roasted tomato salsa on the side for dipping.  As I was devouring her spicy tacos the other morning before catching my flight home, I started to think about how delicious a sweet breakfast taco would be.  The banana Nutella taco was born.  It was pretty tasty on its own, but I decided to roll it up into a burrito and deep fry it.  Deep fried burritos, also known as chimichangas, are a Tex-Mex creation that are typically filled with savory ingredients.  These  sweet and crispy chimichangas are great for breakfast, but just remember to wipe the Nutella off your chin before heading out for the day.

Banana Nutella Chimichangas

Yields 2 chimichangas.
  • 4 cups canola oil
  • 2 medium flour tortillas (taco size, about 8")
  • 1 small banana
  • 2 tablespoons Nutella
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
  • handful of chopped hazelnuts (optional)
  1. In a 9" cast iron skillet, heat the canola oil to 350°.
  2. While the oil is heating, warm the tortillas in the microwave or oven.
  3. Dice the banana and mix it with the cinnamon, cayenne pepper and hazelnuts. Once the oil has reached the right temperature, spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of Nutella in the center, in about a 4" x 3" rectangle.
  4. Add the spiced banana mixture in a small clump on top of the Nutella, almost in the center of the tortilla but more towards one side than the other.
  5. Take the side of the tortilla with the bananas closer to the edge and begin rolling up the tortilla, tucking in the sides as you go so that all ingredients are completely enclosed. Secure with 2 or 3 toothpicks.
  6. Drop them carefully into the hot oil and fry for about 1 minute on each side. Keep in mind that because you are using a cast iron skillet to fry, the side of the tortilla touching the pan will brown quickly. Once the chimichangas are golden brown and crispy, remove them from the oil and let them drain on a paper towel before eating.

Comments

Oh no you didn’t… But wait, you did… How can I repay you for such an awesome idea??? Cannot wait to spring these on folks for dessert after our next big Tex-Mex feast!

So jealous that breakfast tacos are what home is like for you! I wish your Mom could make me some, I’m sure they’re amazing! I love this idea…sweet, crunchy, nutella-y. I’m there!

Damn you, now I want a breakfast taco! We had something similar to these at Max Brenner’s Chocolate by the Bald Man, a restaurant in NYC. It’s a chocolate EXPERIENCE. They did banana and sea salt caramel egg rolls with chocolate dipping sauce. I love your idea of a sweet breakfast taco though. I’m imagining other crepe style fillings, like nutella and strawberry, or whipped cream and a raspberry, strawberry and blueberry mix. I think it would work. YUM!

I think I just fell over!! Just Looking at these is totally ruining my big diet plan scheme, oh my gosh!

And you are a Czech girl after my own heart haha I am totally a red cabbage fiend!! And Kolaches, Hello!! My all time Favorite pastry. Blueberry ones especially :) Do you have a recipe to share?

I’ve never tried or heard of breakfast tacos but they sound delicious especially with the nuttella and bananas! I can’t believe I haven’t tried that combination before!

Yum! Great looking dessert chimichangas.

We invite you to share this post and some of your favorite food posts on Food Frenzy.
    Please check out our community.

I would LOVE to have one of these to start my day! I am pretty sure I would wipe the nutella off my chin before work, but I wouldnt be able to wipe the happy smile off my face. ;)

8. Mel says

I just made these and am eating them now! Pretty delicious. I had never fried anything before, though it seemed like that was waaay too much grease. Less would have amply covered the chimichangas. I don’t get up early enough to make breakfast, and I’m also pretty sure that I’d burn my arm off if I tried to fry before Noon, but this is definitely a great snack!

9. Kathryn says

Oh. My. God. These were delicious! So easy to make, and soooooo delicious. This was perfect for a friend who can only tolerate a little egg and a little dairy. Thanks for the recipe!

I ate them a couple of weeks ago in a Mexican restaurant and have been looking for the recipe ever since then ^^
    I’m going to prepare them immediately!!!!!