Perfect Blondies

How is it possible that I have never tasted a blondie in my entire life until recently?  I’m starting to wonder if it’s because blondies are illegal in Texas.  I have a hankering that Texans might feel that blondies are inferior versions of brownies without chocolate.  Do I have to tell you that Texans don’t stand for inferior versions of anything?  I can just imagine an old lady with blue hair protesting blondies at a church pot luck whispering “if you ain’t gonna make it right then don’t make it at all.”

Well, I’m going to break the law and share blondies.  Blondies are very different than brownies.  While brownies are intense and fudgey, blondies are gooey and pleasantly grainy from the brown sugar.  Brownies taste best warm, while blondies taste best at room temperature or even a little cold.

Perfect Blondies

Makes 2 large blondies in a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan.
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • big pinch of salt
  • ½ cup flour
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • heaping ¼ cup of butterscotch chips
  • ¼ cup toasted pecans (optional)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. Line a 9” x 5” x 3” loaf pan with enough parchment paper to overhang the sides and make handles for lifting the blondies out.
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter and brown sugar with a wooden spoon until well blended.
  4. Stir in the egg yolk, vanilla, and salt.
  5. Sprinkle the flour and baking powder evenly on top and stir it together.
  6. Finally, stir in the butterscotch chips and pecans (if using).
  7. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Use a toothpick to test for doneness—you don’t want the toothpick to come out dry; some moist crumbs clinging is what you’re looking for. Immediately lift the blondies out of the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before devouring.

Comments

if blondies in texas are against the law, i’ve been breaking them for quite some time now ;) i LOVE blondies and love trying new recipes. going to try this one too! i’m fighting for equal rights for blondies in texas!! :)

We can not wait to make these! My hubs asked me to make them today. I told him he’d have to wait for the weekend. I don’t have any butterscotch chips. :)

I love blondies – I was telling someone the other day that their big sister – the brownie – overshadows, but they shouldn’t be overlooked!

I absolutely love your blog! I rarely bake just because most recipes serve, oh, about 433959 people. And these blondies look great!

5. Renee says

I’ve come across your recipe on foodgawker. I love the idea/concept of your blog. My DH doesn’t eat but a handful of desserts and I love it all. I also love sampling (just a couple bites) of everything I can get my hands on. I agree with you on not needing all the extra slices and servings and look forward to all your recipes and future ideas to come.

Thanks for making the sweet world a little ‘smaller’.

I made blondies this weekend and my boyfriend couldn’t understand why anyone would want to eat a brownie without chocolate until he tried one and then he was convinced!

7. Lindsey says

These are delicious! And so easy to make! I had 1/2 a bag of butterscotch chips left and wanted to use them up.. and I sure did! Yum

8. emily W. says

Also….can I just say that this is my go-to “I-need-a-sweet-treat-right-now-and-don’t-feel-like-making-a-whole-batch-of-anything” dessert.
    Now that my husband is home I thankfully have someone to split this with when I get a sweet craving after the kiddos go to bed.
    P.S. A scoop of ice cream is perfect on these. Even better than on regular brownies.

9. Wendy says

I just made these in two small ramekins. This recipe is perfect. The warmth of the melted butter helps break down the brown sugar. This almost has the density of a cookie more than a brownie. I added white chocolate chips instead of butterscotch and macadamia nuts instead of pecans(less than 1/4 cup).