Half Dozen Buttermilk Biscuits

Last week, I unveiled my new recipe index.  It’s nothing too different than what I had already, but it’s a lot more aesthetically pleasing than my old one, which consisted simply of a list of links.  I didn’t realize all the commotion this would create.  Many of you, with very keen eyes I might add, picked up on a tiny photo of biscuits in the breakfast photo banner.  I apologize greatly for teasing you with a photo of something for which I have not shared the recipe.

The truth is, these are my standard buttermilk biscuits for lazy Saturday mornings or Sunday suppers.  I can practically make these in my sleep, so sharing them with you had slipped my mind for quite some time.

These biscuits are quite utilitarian—breakfast, dinner, dessert, whateveryouwish.

The recipe makes 6 light and flaky biscuits, just enough to accompany 2 bowls of soup, with maybe a few left-over for a fried egg and cheese biscuit sandwich the next morning.  The biscuit breakfast sandwich is the best antitote for that pesky Monday morning alarm clock.

If you’d like to use these for dessert, use half the amount of salt called for and sprinkle them with sugar before baking.  Then, while they’re still warm, split them and stuff with strawberries marinated in balsamic vinegar and a small sprig of fresh rosemary (or coarse black pepper), and top with brown-sugar whipped cream.  Or, one of my guilty pleasures is a biscuit stuffed with almond-flavored whipped cream, toasted slivered almonds and a large scoop of my lemon curd that oozes out the sides with each bite.

So, please accept my apologies for the teasing, and commit this recipe to memory because from here on out, life gets a whole lot better, half a dozen biscuits at a time.

Half Dozen Buttermilk Biscuits

Makes 6 3" biscuits
  • 1⅓ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
  • ½ cup buttermilk (plus extra if needed)
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 and have ready a small 6" round pan or a small cast iron skillet.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
  3. Cut the shortening and butter into small pieces and add it to the flour mixture, cutting it in with a pastry cutter or two knives. When all of the pieces of fat are the size of rice and are coated in flour, pour in the buttermilk. Knead it slightly, and add additional buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time if the biscuit dough seems dry or crumbly.
  4. Tip the dough out onto a floured counter and pat it out to 1" thick. Dip your 3" biscuit or cookie cutter in flour and cut out 4 biscuits. Gather up the scraps and gently pat them out in order to cut out 2 more biscuits.
  5. Arrange the dough in the pan--you want the biscuits to be closer together. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. If you want, brush with extra melted butter as they come out of the oven.

Comments

I’m going to have to try this recipe – I don’t really know what American biscuits taste like and I’m so intrigued! The recipe index looks fab by the way!

Nothing like a good biscuit recipe! I love the simple idea of a quick dessert by splitting and adding almond whipped cream, almonds and lemon curd…that’s original and sounds very delicious! Thanks!

I must have missed the unveiling of your index! Looks fabulous!! Buttermilk biscuits remind me of my grandma. Around lunchtime when they were cold, we’d stick our finger in the center to create a hole and fill it with maple syrup. It’s like walking around with a pancake in your hand.

Only making 6 would be really good for me. :)

I LOVE BISCUITS! In fact, my recipe makes over a dozen and I should probably cut it in half to only make 6 because eating biscuits for breakfast lunch and dinner for 4 days straight can’t be good for the waist line! LOL

Hope you all are doing well and staying cool in this heat!!

These look easy and delicious and just in time for fall. As for your recipe index – mine really needs to be redone. Do you use wordpress or blogger? I’m dying to update mine and I’m not quite sure where to start. Any tips?

Just found your site through London Bakes, a fave of mine. This is such a clever idea! I only have one roommate so all the recipes on my site last us several days! Also, these biscuits look incredible-but I’ve gotta be honest, I never met a biscuit I didn’t like ;)

Just discovered your blog via London Bakes and will definitely be coming back for more…such delicious looking recipes! I really want to put a proper index on my blog…it just seems like such a daunting task (and I’ve only been blogging 6 months…very lazy, I know!)

Confession time. I’ve always baked the pillsbury store bought ones. Never looked into how to make my own. After seeing how tasty and simple this recipe is, I am kicking myself for never trying it myself. Now I have no excuse. Bet these are even better with some gravy and mashed potatoes. Mmm….. :)

9. Mrs. Webb says

These biscuits are AMAZING! PERFECT! MOST EXCELLENT! I have tried several different biscuit recipes from scratch and these are by far the best. Plus, it is the perfect amount for Andy and I to finish without one of them having a chance to go stale!

10. Erin says

Amazing!! I made these over Christmas and lost the recipe – just found it again by remembering 1 1/3 c. flour – unique amount. Love them and make them all the time

THis is the perfect amount for my little family of 3! my boy LOVED them and ate almost 2 and that is alot for my little boy!!! I am going to share this on my sisters and my blog….it is an AWESOME recipe….will direct them to your page!!!! and DEFINETLY bookmarked you into my favorites!!! keep baking!!!

12. Angie says

oh yeah, this is what I want…. I was thinking to myself – I love biscuits, but seriously who wants to make 10-12 when it’s just me?! They’re just not as good 3 and 4 days later and I hate store bought biscuits in a can, and even though the frozen one’s will do in a pinch, and you can bake one at a time – read the ingredients list and prepared to be horrified. Then it came to me “wait a minute, I bet I know where to find a recipe for just a few biscuits….” and here they are!!

Thank you!! I’m making some this weekend! and I can’t wait!

13. MOllie says

I just made this recipe and i was really impressed… So easy! I substituted reg flour for 1 1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour and i used 4 tbsp earth balance vegan buttery sticks instead of butter/hydrogenated oils. I also used 1/4 tsp tablesalt but still found them to be too salty- i will omit salt next time. I probably made larger biscuits because i only got 4, but it works for me! Thanks for recipe, love the site!