Pumpkin Biscotti

A few weeks ago I read an article by Allison Glock about Southern women.  It is a highly accurate and entertaining article that I found myself nodding my head in agreement with the entire way through.  This article lit the proverbial fire under me.  I am a Southern woman and I am damn proud of it.  (Hi, Dad! I know you’re proud of this in me, too).

I highly recommend you read this article if you’re a Southern woman, or if you spend time with Southern women and just don’t quite understand us.  I printed out a copy for my California-born boss and he had a few ‘aha’ moments.

Southern women always make the effort, have loads of self-respect (not the same as vanity), and dare to be sweet despite the many reasons not to be.  Also, we devour the fat rolls on a baby faster than a biscuit covered in gravy.  We are a good, strong lot.

I’ve been thinking about a certain section that discussed the camaraderie that Southern woman have for each other.  Southern women know how to make other women feel beautiful.  We love our friends and support them in every way we know how.  I never realized how much joy I have in this gesture.  I live to be happy for my friends (Esther, my heart is so big for you right now).

All of this is to say that when I give you a compliment, I absolutely mean it.  It is from the bottom of my heart that beats solely to notice the good in you and make you aware of it, too.  So, if you see me at Food Blog Forum this weekend in Nashville and I tell you something nice, it is truly from the heart.  If I don’t say a thing to you it’s because I haven’t spent enough time reading your essays, perusing your photos, or chatting with you.  If you give me enough time, I will see a multitude of good things in you.  And I will list them out like a mother to a child.  Don’t be shy this weekend—y’all know what I look like.  You’ve seen me around these food blog events.  And if you have any doubts—yes, I am the girl who looks impossibly skinny for running a dessert blog.  Washing all these dishes burns calories, man, I tell ya!  Plus, I eat a lot of biscotti  because they’re made without butter or oil.

If you think you’re up for reading Ms. Glock’s article, you can find it in last month’s Garden & Gun Magazine here.

Pumpkin Biscotti

Makes 10-12 cookies.
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ cup pumpkin puree
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • pinch of ginger
  • pinch of cloves
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 1¼ cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons pepitas, lightly toasted
  • 4 ounces real white chocolate, chopped
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
  2. In a medium bowl, beat together with a whisk the egg, sugar and baking powder. Beat vigorously until the mixture turns pale yellow and falls back in ribbons on itself when you lift out the whisk.
  3. Next, add the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, salt and vanilla. Continue whisking, aerating the mixture.
  4. Finally, sprinkle the flour on top and fold it in with a spatula. Fold in the pepitas last.
  5. Shape the dough into a flat log about 3" wide by 8" long using wet fingertips. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  6. Remove from the oven, turn the oven down to 300 and let rest for 15 minutes. Slice into ½" slices, place them back on the baking sheet and bake another 30 minutes, flipping them half-way through.
  7. Let cool completely on a wire rack. When ready to serve, melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Dip half of each biscotti into the white chocolate and let set before serving.
Notes
When making biscotti, the order of ingredients is important: be sure to beat the egg, sugar and baking powder alone before moving on to the next step.

Comments

I love the south, the people there are so freindly and awesome, which is why I love going down to South Carolina during the summer to visit family.

Your pumpkin biscotti look really good. I love their dunkability for warm drinks.

I have spent lots of time in tne south. My parents were from Louisiana, and also lived in Texas. When I’m there it truly feels like home. Southeners are more friendly, and don’t get me started on the weather, divine! I have never made biscotti and have only eaten it a few times. This is a different pumpkin recipe and I am eager to try it.

I also love biscotti because they don’t have oil or butter. Makes me feel like I can eat double the amount :) And I am obsessed with anything pumpkin, so I’ll definitely be making these. LOVE IT!

The biscotti is lovely! I’m from the South, too….we speak the same language! I am going to miss the bloggers conventions/forums this year, but maybe next year….

I love to make biscotti but have never made pumpkin. I think I will make these tomorrow. I have all the ingredients on hand with the exception of the pepitas. They satisfy your sweet tooth without being too much.

I need to read that article!! I was raised by a southern woman, so even though I grew up in Idaho, I still consider myself “half”. (If that’s even possible. According to my grandma it is. :))

I hope you had fun in Nash! I can’t wait to hear about it!

Southern women are the best and strongest women I know. They smile when they are sad and can give you the comfort you need when times are hard. I have a friend there, she’s really supportive.
    The biscotti looks so delicious… makes one want to eat it right through the screen :)

I didn’t get around to reading this post until not….after #fbfnash! You TOTALLY look impossibly skinny for a girl who develops recipes for a dessert blog! Good for you though!

Omg if y’all don’t stop, I’m going to faint. I can’t believe starting a blog would let me be friends with people like y’all! My heart is humbled every.single.day.

Hi Christina – I’m so glad to have found your blog! I’m previously lived in California but now live in Texas, how ’bout that? I love this pumpkin biscotti recipe of yours and plan to make these soon. Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful blog and I’m so glad to have found it. I’m looking forward to seeing more from you!

Just found your blog via How Sweet and I am so loving it. I live in Arkansas, and have only one child, who eats like a bird. So I basically cook for 2 1/2. :) Can’t wait to try some of your recipes!!

love this – i’ve got a lot of pumpkin and am ready to use it!

it was so fun to meet you at FBF and be able to chat last weekend! hope we get to see each other again soon :)

Just found your site via Confessions of a Cookbook Queen, and am so stoked!! I’m always forcing my baked goods on other people because I love to bake, but have no will power when it comes to sugar and butter. None. Also, I’m from Dallas, so you are really speaking my language with the grilled peaches and pecans and talk of southern ladies and such. Hope you enjoyed the conference!

Hi Christina – I just made these beautiful biscotti and they turned out absolutely perfect! I added a few chopped walnuts to the biscotti after they were dipped in the white chocolate, but that was the only change besides the baking time, which was a little shorter for me. Thank you for such a lovely recipe. I’ll be giving these, along with a few other cookies, in a tin of Christmas treats. Happy holidays!

14. Lindsey says

I have never really liked biscotti until I tried this recipe!! OMG I AM OBSESSED! I think I have made it 3 or 4 times in the past couple months since finding your website. Are there any other variations we can use for this recipe?