Velveeta Fudge

If we weren’t church-goin’ people, we would surely be idol worshippers. And our idol of choice? Velveeta. I don’t care what y’all say, the stuff is delicious. We would be such astute believers that we would refer to our idol as ‘Velveeta’ only in a hushed whisper. The more revered way to speak its name would be ‘pasturized cheese product.’ We would study the creation of pasteurized cheese product and understand that it is made by reincorporating the whey with the curd after the initial cheese-making process, a step with which other cheeses have not been annointed. Stabilizers are sprinkled in, not unlike frankincense and myrrh.

If you think fudge with cheese in it sounds gross, stop sipping your salted mocha frapp, get your fingers out of the salted caramel jar, and quit munching pretzel M&Ms just long enough to realize that this can be another way to get your salty-sweet fix. I promise y’all, it does not taste like cheese. It has the rich creaminess you know and love of Velveeta plus chocolate. If you can’t bear the thought of it, I created a scaled down version of classic fudge last year that you might be interested in here.

I wish to dedicate this recipe to my lovely best friend Emma who took one bite of this and loved it, but then when she heard it contained Velveeta, refused to eat another bite. Did you hear that? She loved it.

Velveeta Fudge

Makes about 8 pieces.
  • 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing pan
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
  1. Line a loaf pan (9" x 5" x 3") with foil, then butter the foil.
  2. In a small non-stick saucepan melt the Velveeta cubes and butter together over very low heat. Stir frequently to avoid sticking and burning.
  3. Meanwhile, sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a medium bowl. When the Velveeta and butter mixture is melted together, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour it over the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, stirring well before adding the walnuts.
  4. Scrape the mixture into the loaf pan, level it flat, then let it chill in the fridge for 4 hours before cutting and serving.

Comments

I am intrigued! Any idea of how much 4 ounces is in tablespoons/cups? I don’t have a kitchen scale.

I do have a LOT of velveeta that my sister in law brought me back from the US. You Americans are lucky – it is about 1/2 the price there than it is in Canada.

oohhh i’d be right there next to you worshipping velveeta. that stuff is soooo good! i could eat it in just about anything, which i guess now should include this fudge. i am super curious about how fudge tastes with velveeta in it, but if you say it’s amazing, then i totally trust you! :)

Wow – what a blast from the past! I remember everybody making Velveeta fudge back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. I’ve seen Paula Deen make it on her show and I’ve made pounds and pounds of it myself. And, no, it does not taste anything at all like cheese. It’s really delicious!

haha i love the way you tell it like it is! “stop sipping your frapp!” you go girl, love the sass :) this sounds interesting but i’m sure it’s phenomenal. you’re one brave soul to try this combination and i’m so glad it worked out awesome for you!

Saw Paula Deen making this on Iron Chef & my daughter has talked about it ever since. Might have to make it now, esp. since it’s anointed with frankincense and myrrh (you made me laugh this morning!).

Wow….would’ve never thought of this. I’m so tempted to make it and secretly serve it without revealing the secret ingredient until its all gone :) you are going on my “to do” list missy!

I’ve never tried Velveeta Fudge but I know that Paula Deen swears by it!! And that is all I need to know.

Love this scaled down version…your recipes are the perfect size!! I will be trying it soon!!

LOL…now you are divulging some best kept southern secrets here darlin’ ;D We want folks to keep thinking that Velveeta is ucky so that we can hog it all for ourselves. Nah! Just kiddin’. Love this post, you had me conjuring up images of my granny pulling out a log of Velveeta and cutting hunks for me to snack on. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

I was seriously stunned when I saw this recipe. It has the gag factor, and also a bit of mystery about it that has made me both repulsed and curious haha. I recently made some chocolate mint candy cane fudge, and love how easy the candy is to make. I just may have to try this.

10. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective says

Girlfriend, you crack me up! Yes, I’m a salty-sweet person, but it may take me a few days to wrap my head around this one. I’m still buying a brick of velvety this week, just in case.

I do love a sweet-salty desert but cheese and chocolate together – – I’m going to have to test this bad boy out before making any sound decisions. The fudge does look incredibly creamy … pretty cool recipe, if you ask me!!

Christina, I remember the first time I had a piece of Velveeta Fudge — everyone was oohing and ahhing over how creamy it was and then the hostess revealed her “secret.” Nobody could believe it. It really IS good. Glad to see you reintroducing an ol’ favorite!

Ok ok ok, I’ve been skeptical about this recipe for a while, but your description of the outcome is absolutely tantalizing. You may have just convinced me otherwise :)

Girl, fly your freak flag – I love this for you!

I might even give it a try. My mother makes a KILLER Velveeta dip for the Oscars. I’ll at the least link her to this ;)

Just found this post and tried it. I wanted to try this fudge but the original recipe was to much. So happy I was able to try it. It’s delicious and I am still in shock that you don’t taste any cheese. :-)

1. […] Did you see our 8 AWESOME FUDGE RECIPES? There were some pretty amazing and unique fudge recipes in there. Now we have another one to add to the list for you to try – if you dare! Velveeta Fudge! Yes, I said Velvetta. That cheese, you know the one it’s in there. My friend Christina of Dessert For Two, swears this is a salty and sweet treat that you’re going to love! I’m willing to give it a try, after all I did just make a milkshake out of doughnuts ; ) It’s the unexpected pairings that always surprise you. You can get Christina’s recipe for Velveeta Fudge on her BLOG. […]