Half-Dozen Fried Donuts

I’ve shared a few donut recipes before, and they are good, but…they are baked.

Let’s do this donut thing right.  And by that I mean FRIED.

The first time I fried something, I felt like the most domestic girl in the world.  I couldn’t believe this skill was in my arsenal.  I decided it must be genetic, since my grandmother made the best fried chicken ever.

Ok, so the first time I fried something, it actually didn’t go so well.  I caught the cooking bug during college in Waco.  After watching the Food Network, I would search every grocery store in that little town looking for the exotic ingredients Giada called for in her recipes.  Sorry, Giada, but in the South, we don’t do no prosciutto or Parmesan (or, as you say, Par-MEE-john-o).  I’m American.   I eat bacon and Velveeta.  You should try it sometime.

I put on a low-cut shirt (isn’t this step 1 for all of her recipes?) and tried to sashe around the kitchen as effortlessly as Giada.  I was waiting for my olive oil to smoke in my pan so I could sauté some garlic.  I saw a wisp of smoke, so I dropped in the garlic.  It hit the pan, instantly turned black and bounced around the skillet.  I grabbed the pan from the heat, threw it in the sink and turned the faucet on it.  Smart, right?  Oil and water.  The garlic took flight and almost burned my roommate’s boyfriend’s face.  If this is Italian, I don’t want to cook like an Italian anymore.  Italian food hurts people.  (Just kidding, Paula, I love you more than bacon dipped in Velveeta.)

The next time I fried something, it went very well.  It was canned biscuits to make donuts.  Now here’s where the genes kick in.

I didn’t  want you to be dependent on canned biscuits, so I made a homemade version for you to fry.  I bet you have all of these ingredients in your pantry already.

I used a 3″ biscuit cutter for donuts, then I used the back of a piping tip to cut out the hole.  Neat, huh?

Half-Dozen Fried Donuts

Makes 6 donuts.
  • 3 cups of oil for frying (I use canola)
  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg yolk
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
  • ¼ cup milk
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla
For the glaze:
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoons milk
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla (or rum)
  1. In a large skillet with sides, heat 1″ of clean oil to 370.
  2. Meanwhile, sift together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, sugar, melted butter and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold together until no streaks of flour remain, but try not to over-mix too.
  3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface with a rolling pin to about ¼” thickness. Use a 3″ biscuit cutter to cut out 6 circles. Use a smaller cutter (I use a piping tip) to cut out the middles. Once the oil is hot, carefully slide 3 donuts into the oil. Fry for 15-20 seconds on each side, then flip. Fry the other side for 15 seconds (or until golden brown) and then remove from the oil. Let rest on a paper-towel lined cooling rack so the excess oil drips away. Repeat with the remaining donuts and donut holes.
  4. While cooling, whisk together all the glaze ingredients. Dip donuts in glaze, then serve.

Psst!  Still reading?  A sweet reader in Michigan sent me a link to a survey that she would like y’all to take.  Rachael is working towards a Master’s degree (you rock, girl!), and is interested in studying  the institutional, behavioral, and technological aspects of information overload.  Do you read so many food blogs and bookmark so many recipes that you feel overloaded?  Me too!  Just click here to take her survey.  It only takes 5 minutes to complete, and she’d really appreciate all the data points she can get.  Thanks, y’all!

Comments

I still haven’t even tried the baked kind and now you’re frying on me?! Frying scares me, not gonna lie. But these look so darn good it might be worth it. Maybe if I put on a low cut shirt instead of the perpetual workout clothes I’m always in, I can channel my inner Giada and her suaveness in the kitchen.

I love these little gems and your first time frying story! The first time I fried something it was chicken and my oil was too hot so it looked cooked on the outside but was totally raw inside. Dummy me was sooo proud. Waited for it to cool then cut into it and started to cry. It took me a year to get over that episode! : )

Hahahaha, I notice you didn’t say anything about trying to throw off your head-to-body ratio before attempting a Giada recipe. I think that’s step two…after the cleavage-bearing shirt.

My mother has a similar hot-skillet-to-sink story, only her hot skillet actually took out a piece of the sink from the force with which she threw it. Apparently we are dangerous people to hang out with in the kitchen.

Mmmm, doughnuts.

4. Julie says

Stephie’s right. You are the queen. I need these doughnuts. Well, maybe not NEED, but I sure do want them. All six of them. All by myself. And, seriously, is there anything better in the world than a southern grandmother’s fried chicken? The answer is no. I miss that more than just about anything, except maybe her gumbo.

5. Rachael says

Christina! This is awesome! Thank you so much for including my survey in your post, and thank you to you all who are taking it! =)

I may have to make these donuts as soon as I am done with my case study…

Wow, these kind of look like a heart attack on a plate…but in a totally worth it kind of way. Plus they’re mini so they must be kind of ok right? Definitely going to give these a try!

Hi there! This is my first visit to your food page, and I have to say I really like what I see so far! I love the idea of scaling down the portion size of desserts, as I am a huge dessert fiend, but don’t necessarily want tons of leftovers lying around the house tempting me. I have never made donuts, but my mom made them when I was a kid, so your recipe takes me back! Hope you’re having a great weekend and I look forward to seeing more of your small-portioned desserts ;)

You are cracking me up! Yes, putting on a low cut shirt is always step on for Giada’s recipes.

And fried biscuit donuts are a huge childhood memory for me. I love those things but never make them for a variety of reasons: preservative tasting donuts, it’s just Hubster and me and we don’t need that many, and the chance that my thighs will explode. Your paired down recipe takes away two of those fears. So thanks! ;)

9. Nicole says

LADY. I avoided clicking on this post for as long as I could.

Because I don’t need know how easy these gorgeous doughnuts are.

Because we made a vow before getting married to only ever eat doughnuts on the morning we get our Christmas tree. Never mind that we have tried those foodie doughnut shoppes when on holiday. ;)

10. Monica says

Is the amount listed for baking soda correct? It seems high for a such a small amount of flour. I’d like to try these, but I’m thinking that they may taste like soda.

Hi Amna, You can try anything you want, but there’s no guarantee the recipe will work. I only tested the recipe using the ingredients listed. What were you thinking? A flax egg?

11. Amna says

Hey, Christina, I made these once before and they were truly amazing. I’m craving thrm right now and I’m all out of eggs and it’s kinda late here.
    I think I’ll have to wait till morning. :c