Lemon Poppy Seed Granola

First, don’t forget to enter my small bakeware giveaway.  You have until February 7th at noon!

I really enjoy making granola.  I adore the whole process of gathering up all the mason jars that contain the oats, nuts and seeds.  I love the feel of the dry ingredients between my fingers and the aroma of the wet ingredients melting and mingling on the stove.

I challenge myself to spread the final product as evenly as possible on the baking sheet before sliding it into the oven.  I pace back and forth at the oven, anxiously awaiting a chance to stir.

But then, the enjoyment comes to an abrupt stop.  The process of moving the final product from a flat sheet pan to a round mason jar for storage makes me curse like a sailor.  I have to sweep the floor after every time I make granola.  I’ve tried using a Silpat, a funnel, a large plastic bag, you name it.  Ultimately, I can be found kneeling on the floor, scooping up bits of perfectly browned granola that I wish was going into my breakfast bowl, not the trash.  This granola especially upsets me when it spills because the pucker-y lemon flavor and crunch from the sunflower and poppy seeds should not escape your mouth!

I layered this granola with a lemon-flavored yogurt to amp up the citrus-y punch even more.  I wouldn’t mind if I received this on a tray each morning.

Other recipes in the 2012 Valentine’s Day Breakfast in Bed series so far:
Cherry Vanilla Baked Oatmeal
Cheddar Biscuit Breakfast Sandwiches

Pina Colada Smoothie

Creme Brulee French Toast

To browse all of my small breakfast recipes, click here.

Lemon Poppy Seed Granola

Makes about 2 cups of granola
  • 1¼ cups rolled oats
  • ¼ cup sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup slivered almonds or sunflower seeds
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a small half-sheet pan.
  2. In a small bowl, stir together the oats, coconut, lemon zest, poppy seeds, salt and almonds or sunflower seeds.
  3. Melt in the microwave (or on the stove) the butter, honey, lemon juice and almond extract. Once thoroughly melted, add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
  4. Spread it evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes. Stir well (the edges of the pan will brown faster). Bake for another 9-10 minutes until golden brown.
  5. Serve with lemon yogurt in a parfait glass or plain.

Comments

I’ve been looking for a good granola recipe for ages and this looks just the ticket! I love those citrus flavours and the crunch of the poppy seeds.

Lemon and poppy seeds…you got me! Wish I had an answer to not spilling this great granola, but I seem to have more kitchen accidents than ever…especially spilling things! I need help too! Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe!

3. Haley says

I love lemon anything, and I love granola! Never thought to put the two together. I will be trying this recipe this weekend! :)

girl, i’m the same way…how the heck do you get the f-ing granola into the stupid container?! good thing it tastes so stinking good :)

ALSO – i got the vanilla beans yesterday!!! you have no idea how excited i am…thank you thank you thank you :)

5. Lynda Agen says

Ooooh, I’m making this in the morning! will have to use orange instead of lemon, oh well…
    Have you ever tried using those very thin, flexable cutting mats to move things? I use them to get my Toffee Popcorn into bags and they work better than anything I’ve ever tried.
    Wishing you all the best!

I am happy with a silpat :)

Your recipe sound delicious. I have several meyer lemons here needing to be used, and I bought poppyseeds by the pound for the same price as I used to pay for a 1 oz. container. I’ll be making this tomorrow!

Lemon poppyseed granola – what a fantastic idea!! I can’t wait to try this :) As for the spilling thing, I’ve never really had a problem with that because I line my pan with parchment paper then I can just pick up both ends of the paper so everything falls to the middle, then I can easily pour it into a container. Keeps the pan clean too!