Pecan Tassies

This is normally the time of year when I try to score good deals on plane tickets home for Christmas and Thanksgiving.  You would think that buying this early in advance would be cheaper, and it is, but only slightly.   However, I’m just a few weeks away from moving within driving distance of my family.  Hallelujah!, no more flying home for the holidays.  I’m so ecstatic, I can’t stop thinking about it.

All that thinking about the holidays made me crave the pecan pie my Dad bakes every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I hope this doesn’t embarrass him, but my Dad can bake one helluva pie.

Instead of baking a whole pecan pie, I made pecan tassies.  If you’ve never had a tassie, it’s a cookie cup with a custard filling.  It tastes like a bite of pecan pie encased in a rich cream cheese dough.

Pecan tassies are a classic Southern cookie to bake around the holidays, but what do you do when you crave them in April?  Do you make an entire batch of 4 dozen cookies?  No way!  Remember my little portion control problem?

I scaled these down to make only 8 cookies.

In case you’ve never made tassies, I did a little step-by-step of how to get a ball of dough into a cup shape:

After chilling your dough, divide it into 8 balls

Then, using your thumb, press the dough down into the cup and press the dough up the sides of your mini muffin pan.

You just made tassie cups!  Now, pour in your custard, bake 20 minutes, and enjoy!

Pecan Tassies

Makes 8 cookies.
For the dough:
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (plus extra for pan)
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup flour
For the custard filling:
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • ⅓ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon whiskey (or vanilla)
  • ⅓ cup chopped, toasted pecans
  1. First, make the dough: combine with an electric mixer the softened butter and cream cheese. Add the flour and beat until incorporated. It might not come together into a dough just yet; use your hands to clump it together into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill 20 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, grease 8 cups in a mini muffin pan with the extra butter, and preheat the oven to 350.
  3. Divide the dough into 8 equal-sized balls, then press the dough in the cups, as shown above.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, brown sugar, whiskey and pecans. Divide this mixture evenly among the dough cups.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes. The pecan filling with puff up and rise above the edges of the dough. Yummy!

Comments

I had pecan pie for the first time last year and I loved it. Definitely going to try these, anything that tastes like pie but doesn’t involve rolling out pastry dough is a winner!

2. Jan says

Oh my! I have been craving pecan pie, but sure didn’t want to make a whole pie. These look like just the thing and like Rachel Cooks, I have a recently purchased mini-muffin pan that I haven’t yet used :)

3. Laurie says

Just wanted to let you know that I love your blog. You are seriously a genius! I’m constantly thinking… it would be nice to have a recipe for…. and there you are! Love it! :) Keep up the good work and delicious recipes!

My grandmother always made these for us, and I LOVE that you’ve shared this! And the way you make the crust! Because my grandmother had a special wooden spoon thingy to form the dough, and it is pretty IMPOSSIBLE to do without that. So next time I make the tassies, I’m definitely following the dough-ball steps you just put out here!

Thanks, lady!

5. Lora @cakeduchess says

So happy for you to be moving near your family. That is just wonderful! How sweet that your dad bakes a wonderful pecan pie…it’s one of my favorite pies and just love these sweet little tassies!xx

I love pecan tassies. They were one of the first sweets I made for christmas with the family!! happy to have a scaled down version. Happy your moving closer to your family!!

A-ha! I have a favorite holiday recipe I found in a BH&G magazine years ago for peppermint cherry tassies. I make them every year, but never until now have I come across another person who’d ever heard of a tassie! Glad to know that there is another tassie lover out there! My recipe doesn’t have any sort of custard filling, it’s pure buttery, soft cookie cup with a maraschino cherry pressed into the top!

I’m just about one month away from moving closer to my family too! So, so excited to see family on a much more regular basis…and to have the money we used to spend on plane tickets in a vacation fund instead :) Wishing you well in your move and loving this pecan dessert :)

You posted some yummy recipes while I was flitting about wine country enjoying your suggestions on places to stop :) These tassies look particularly good and remind me of the white port we bought on our trip. It seriously tasted like pecan pie. So good!

I’m recapping my trip on my blog this week if you’re interested. I can’t thank you enough for your suggestions. They were totally spot on!

Heather! So glad you had fun! I sent you itinerary out on twitter because you did such a good job of cataloging all the places! Thanks for the shout-outs, too :)

10. Jessica says

Just finished making these and they’re pretty awesome! The perfect 4 bite treat. I actually quadrupled the recipe and made 21 tassies in a regular-sized muffin pan. I also recommend more pecans, you can never go wrong with more nuts ;)