Apple Fritters

I’ve been making a grave mistake for years.

When I go into a donut shop, I ponder over cream-filled versus plain.  Cake versus fried.  Icing versus cinnamon sugar.  Whole versus holes.  I always skip over the fruit fritters.  Fruit in my donut?  Thanks, but I’ll take sugar glazed with sugar and dipped in chocolate, please.  And stuff it with custard while you’re at it, thankyouverymuch.

But one Sunday, Mr. Dessert For Two and I decided to stop for donuts after church.  We pulled up to our small town’s donut shop and found all the parking spots full—always a good sign.  Inside, we found all of the tables pushed together and old farmers sitting together, eating their donuts and drinking their black coffee.  The Mr. and I looked at each other with a silent smile that said ‘this is the right place’ and bellied up to the window.  I pondered over all the colors and shapes of donuts, but he didn’t.  He barely even looked down.  I thought this was odd, because he is a man who likes to know all of his dessert options before he makes his selection.  (This is because he likes to see if he can combine two desserts into one.  My Mom once offered him brownies, cookies, or ice cream, and he said ‘yes, please, all three!’)

He ordered an apple fritter without any consideration for the multicolored sprinkles, pink glazes, or oozing golden custards.  It was very unlike him.  I finally decided on a classic maple bar and sat down.  I was in stunned silence–he doesn’t normally like desserts that contain fruit.  He groans when he finds out I’ll be testing fruit desserts for this site.  He offered me a bite of his fritter, but I politely declined.  He insisted.  I tasted.  I understood.  Apple fritters bring about peace in your soul.  Quite possibly the world, too.

These fritters have ruined donuts for me.  If you’re going to get the oil hot to fry donuts, why not fry apples in batter?  The apple fritter that made me a peacemaker in this world was as big as my face and full of apple chunks.  It was as if I was eating a donut and apple pie all in one.  Yes, this must be what heaven tastes like.

Apple Fritters

Makes 2 large apple fritters
  • ⅔ cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅓ cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 small apple, peeled and small-diced
  • 2 cups clean vegetable (or canola) oil
  • Powdered sugar (for serving)
  1. In a large cast iron (or similar heavy pan) heat the over medium heat to 350.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together lightly the cream, butter and egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring lightly, then fold in the diced apples. Be careful not to overmix--it's similar to pancake batter.
  3. Ensure the oil is hot enough by dropping in one apple piece coated in batter--it should sink then immediately float to the surface and bubbles should form around the edges as it fries. Use a ½-cup measure to scoop out one fritter. Press the batter firmly into the measuring cup, then dump it in your hand to press it flat--you want a flat disk before dropping it in the oil. Do the same with the remaining batter.
  4. Fry 3-5 minutes on one side, or until golden brown (don't be afraid to get some real color on these), then flip and fry until the other side is golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.

Comments

My beloved husband, The Complete Package, is also an Apple Fritter man. I never got it until I tried one last year. Have mercy, they are delicious. He’s going to flip when he sees this.

APple fritters are the best best best donut by leaps and bounds. I, too, get distracted by the cream filled donuts but in my old age I have realized that my grandpa has been right all these years..apple fritter power!

I love small town coffee shops. When you mentioned tables pulled together and full of farmers drinking their coffee, it took me right back to my hometown. And homemade apple fritters? Wow, they look so good!

You’re so right, I almost always overlook fruity desserts in favour of chocolate, then when I eat them wonder how I’ve been missing out on them all my life! These look devilishly good – one for special occasions only I think :-)

5. Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau says

I would like to do nothing more than grab both of those fritters right now and shove them in my mouth!

6. Vicki says

I will try this one for sure! When you and Mr are ready for a little road trip, come west to Clay Center and I would like to introduce you to the “Tasty Pastry” and their famous Nut Rolls, they have been making this one for over 40 years and it’s a favorite for the locals. Many that come back for a visit will return back to their homes with a dozen or more for their freezer. I guess I’m assuming they are taking them home for a rainy day, maybe they never make it all the way home. :)

Oh my! I know we will adopt these at home as favorite….I could just taste it already! Thanks fpr the recipe. P.S. I love all your instagrams pics.

Haha, sounds like my husband. The more sugar the better. However, my husband lives for fruit-desserts… fruit pies, fruit tart… I just want to crunch into that fritter right there. Looks soooo crispy and delish!

9. Brit says

I’m having some trouble with this one – the batter is pretty thin. I’m positive I measured everything correctly, I’m very precise with that sort of thing! I couldn’t shape the batter into a disc, it was way too goopy to handle. The fritters still tasted good, but were more like funnel cakes with apple. I didn’t have heavy cream, so I used whole milk, do you think that was the issue?

Hi Brit!

Thanks for making my recipe & writing in :)

The batter is supposed to be thin. It is definitely a challenge to get them into a semi-disc shape, but I thought it was worth it for the photo. If you don’t need your fritters picture-perfect, maybe just do 4 small fritters and fry them for less time? And yes, substituting whole milk will definitely change the batter and make it fry up lighter. I used heavy cream for that dense, rich taste.

Congrats on planning your wedding! I saw you’re wedding dress on instagram! Such a cute picture. We got engaged in March and are having an Oct wedding so I am knee deep in planning! Email me if you have any questions or just need to vent!

xo!
    Michelle

Oh, I know just what you mean! I, too, used to always choose filled donuts, but there’s a little shop near our house that makes the most incredible apple fritters. We go there rarely, but when we do, it’s the fritters that get our vote these days. Your homemade fritters look fantastic!

I can’t believe you have never tried apple fritters before! They are my favorite, it’s what I always get when I go to places that sell doughnuts. But now I can make it in the comfort of my own home?! Bookmarked!

Have you ever tried blueberry fritters? I used to be all about the apple until my first bite into a gorgeous, juicy blueberry fritter! (Btw you really are my go-to for desserts!)

14. Emily says

AAhhh my absolute favorite! No one understands how apple fritters can surpass all other donuts untill they try one. Thank you for your complete disregard for my diet and health!

15. Deeann says

I made these this morning and rather than 2 big fritters, I made 4 smaller ones. This made better use of the oil space in the skillet and helped to not over-cook the edges/under-cook the middle. They turned out really yummy! I used the glaze from your Fried Donuts recipe rather than just sprinkling with powdered sugar. Thanks for the great recipe!