Thin Mints

I’ve got a bone to pick with an 8-year old girl.

Look, I’m not the jealous type, but I really don’t like other women cooking for my man.

Sometimes Mr. Dessert For Two takes a break from desserts.  He resists the sweets that come out of my kitchen.  And yeah, it kinda bugs me.  It makes me want to bake triple chocolate, caramel, crunchy, creamy, salty-sweet anything to tempt him.

When he’s going through this strong-willed dessert-resistance thing and a cute little 8-year old girl in a brown vest selling Thin Mints outside the grocery store melts his heart, I get a little jealous.   Yes, I know I’m an awful person.

Last time he bought a box of Thin Mints, he left them in the freezer for 3 weeks while he was out of town.  Can I brag about my self-control, not touching that box for 3 whole weeks? My actions were more out of spite than self-control, though.   He came back into town for a friend’s wedding and practically pushed me over to get to these cookies in the freezer.

I vowed then that I would make homemade thin mints for him.  I wanted them to be easy enough that I could make them at a moment’s notice.  I wanted them to taste EXACTLY like the Girl Scout version.  And trust me, these really do.  Taste, texture, mint flavor, everything is identical.

Take Ritz crackers (don’t use low-fat or low-salt, or I’ll cry), dip them in melted chocolate flavored with peppermint extract, pop ‘em in the freezer and enjoy.  Keep those cookie-pushers away from your man.  Make these instead.

This recipe makes 20 cookies.  It’s a large serving size for Dessert For Two, but they’re that good.  Ten cookies each.  Go!

P.S. As you read this, the movers & packers are here. Please be assured that I am not ignoring your emails or comments, I will just be delayed in my response.  Kansas, are you ready for this big-mouthed Southern girl?

Thin Mints

Makes 20 cookie crackers
  • 20 Ritz crackers (don't use low-fat or low-salt)
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon shortening
  • ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract (not the same as peppermint oil)
  1. First, line a pan with parchment or wax paper.
  2. In a double boiler (or a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water), melt the chocolate and shortening. When the mixture is smooth, stir in the peppermint extract. Using two forks, dip the cookies one at a time into the chocolate. Move them to the pan to cool.
  3. I personally think these taste best chilled in the freezer.

Comments

Oh my gosh, I know exactly how you feel. My husband doesn’t really eat any sweets at all (doesn’t keep me from baking them) but sometimes if we eat over at a friends house, he’ll have dessert. I know he’s just trying not to be rude but.. I want him to eat MY desserts.

These look amazing. Perfect salty sweet combo. Can’t wait to try them.

The first time I tasted these, I had no idea what was inside. My friend gave me her recipe and now I make them, too. They are as good as or better than the real thing. And they’re so easy. During the holidays, I crush candy canes and sprinkle them on top for decoration. Great recipe. Here’s a recipe that I just posted. Feel free to borrow and use if you try it and like it. It makes 6 1/2 cup servings, but you could easily adjust it to 4 a-little-larger-than-half-cup servings and have it for dessert two nights in a row. http://frenchtwistedwoman.com/2012/05/02/individual-chocolate-creams-petits-pots-de-creme-au-chocolat/ Enjoy!

Your post cracked me up…I can be the same way about cooking for the man…competitive enough to throw elbows….okay, maybe not that bad, but still. Your thin mints look GREAT! They’re my favorite girl scout cookie. I LOVE how simple the recipe is. 10 cookies sounds great to me!

No way I would be able to resist staying away from a box of Thin Mints stashed in the freezer! Love this recipe. Your thin mints look perfect. Good luck with the move and I hope you love Kansas!

I would just have to go ahead and eat all 20 in one sitting…just as I do the box. I tend to stick them in the freezer as a way of trying to “forget” I bought the box but that does no good for me. Great recipe, Christina!

6. Vicki says

Christina, Those sound supper easy and will try them a couple of my “boys”, hubby not too crazy for mint, but that just leaves more for the rest of us. WELCOME TO KANSAS!!!! I’ll look to meet up with you the next time I’m in the “city”.

7. jarrod says

i saw this post from foodgawker.

the last time i ate a girlscout cookie, i said to my wife ‘these arent really cookies, these are just crackers with a bit of topping spread on and then dipped in chocolate.’

i had never thought about just using the silly ritz instead of baking a cracker-cookie substitute.

put some peanut butter on top and cover in chocolate and you have a tagalong. coconut and youll have a samoa. thin mints are obviously the easiest and i imagine the real girl scout cookies have the mint extract mixed into the chocolate and not the cookie.

My grandma would love your site – she’s always complaining about recipes making way too much. I, on the other hand, cook for 8 or more, so I don’t have that problem. I hope to someday though. :P

9. Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau says

I die. I simply die. These are so easy that it could be dangerous. But I don’t care :)

10. torrey says

Is there something you can substitute for the shortening without ruining the recipe? I’m dying to make these for my husband but don’t really like using that.

11. Naomi Davis says

Christina, hope you have a fabulous kitchen in Kansas where you can have many hours of fun. I love unpacking after moving house. It’s like mega Christmas. Everything looks completely different in a new setting and something that looked OK before now looks fabulous showcased in the new house. It’s moving magic.

12. torrey says

These were amazing…didn’t really want to use the shortening but I’m glad I did because it made the chocolate so silky. Cooled in the fridge then popped right into the freezer…these are awesome!

i know i’m totally late on these. i just wanted to let you know that i’m pretty sure we’re meant to be BFFs. thin mints are my FAVORITE. these look awesome :)

14. Heather says

They look super yummy, and im glad they are simple to make! Well Welcome to Kansas! Im glad to have another southern girl here!

15. mary king says

I had a recipe for true mint like you find on the pillows in fancy hotels, but my recipe book was thrown away because of water damage. The recipe called for powdered sugar (I still call this sugar 10x). I guess I am telling my age but I truly like to kind this recipe again, because it makes a great after dinner breath freshener when you have a group of people over. And makes a great Christmas take home gift for after a party. I would love to locate this recipe again.you can reach me at my email. Have a great time cooking and eating.