Cherry Fool

You might be a food blogger if you buy 4 pounds of cherries and suddenly, your brain goes into overdrive thinking of possible cherry desserts to bake.  I almost got through the whole bag before I could decide.  Plus, Naomi already made this beautiful cherry concoction, so I really had to think hard.

I decided to make y’all a fool because it’s simple and delicious.  A fool is cooked fruit stirred into freshly whipped cream.  Easy, right?  You can do this.

I should warn you that my desserts might keep having an English flair.  Before I left California, I sneaked over to Napa one Sunday afternoon to enjoy a delicious brunch with the very sweet and charming and beautiful Emilia of Wine & Butter.  I had such a wonderful afternoon with her and her husband Louis, that I’m thinking of doing a British stint in my kitchen for a bit.  Emilia gave me her Godmother’s cookbook and I’ve been devouring it nightly.  I read it with a British accent in my head because it makes me feel like I’m as fabulous as Emilia.

You also might be a food blogger if you feel an instant connection with someone through their site and agree to drive and meet said person for brunch.  But, don’t concern yourself too much with the habits of food bloggers.  We’re a weird bunch.  Just let us feed you, ok?

I’m thinking of doing another round of no-bake desserts for summertime.  Any requests?

Cherry Fool

Makes 2 dishes
  • 1½ cups dark cherries (frozen is fine), pitted
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • ¾ cup heavy cream, very cold
  • ¼ cup powdered sugar
  1. In a small saucepan, combine the cherries, lemon and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Let cook 3-4 minutes, until the fruit breaks down and some pink foam rises to the surface. Remove from heat and let cool completely. At this point, you can puree the fruit for a smooth fool, or leave it chunky like I prefer.
  2. Once the cherry mixture is completely cool, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Stir in the powdered sugar and continue beating until slightly stiff peaks hold their shape.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together the fruit mixture and whip cream. Divide between two dessert dishes and serve.
Notes
*This is especially delicious if allowed to chill in the freezer one hour before serving.

Comments

I love how summer desserts can be so easy but still fancy and refreshing at the same time! These look wonderful :)

Oh, and if you are taking requests…I’ve had a hankering for the Pioneer Woman’s raspberry crisp, but it makes 8 servings–7 too many for a girl like me haha. I certainly wouldn’t mind a few left overs, but 7 might be dangerous haha. Here’s the link for the original: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/raspberry-crisp/

I have never made something like this before! Looks easy enough – I adore cherries, i think i would have eaten them all up and had to get some more to make this good looking dessert :) ha ha – I read recipe books like that too, its so nice to be a blogger – you meet so many wonderful people who are strange (ly) like you :) Thanks for sharing!

I was the same way when I bought cherries last week! 3 pounds and they were all baked and/or consumed in less than 24 hours. I’m even considering buying one of those fancy shmancy cherry pitters…then the cherry baked goods would really get out of control! I had never heard of a fool until reading this and it sounds so appealing. Very light, refreshing and sweet!

I’ve only ‘met’ Emilia through her blog but I can’t wait to meet her in real life, she seems like the sweetest ever. I’m so glad you all had a fabulous get together (and I’m all for an English series on your blog!)

Can you believe that I’ve never made any type of fool? This looks delicious, though and I know what you mean about overdrive… Any time i buy too much of a fruit or have a billion brown bananas my brain goes crazy.

Em is so much fun! I totally did the same thing…except we met in Santa Cruz. Love the cherry fool! I’ll have to make it soon…my cherries haven’t been lasting long enough to get eaten any way other than plain.

I’d never heard of a fool before! How fun!

And I totally must be a food blogger, because I would love to meet up with you for brunch some day. :)

I bought EIGHT pounds of cherries last week, to make pies. And then got too lazy to pit them. SO they’re just sitting there… I did pit about 1/4 pound this am. I really need to get my butt into gear. And then make this fool!

You might be a food blogger if you buy 4 pounds of cherries …. but eat them ALL!! LOL!! I have done this twice and not once made a recipe..lol!! oh well, gives me an excuse to buy more and try this lovely sweet!!