Before we talk about those crunchy golden chicken fingers, we need to discuss this easy mac ‘n cheese recipe. When I say easy, I mean it. Macaroni and cheese usually requires a thick white sauce made on the stovetop with a butter and flour roux. It’s delicious and definitely worth the effort, but I adore this recipe because you only need a blender! Blending the flour and spices into the milk before stirring in the cheese makes perfect baked macaroni every time.
Speaking of those ramekins…these are the 10-ounce ramekins. They’re the same size I use for my pineapple upside down cakes. If you’re finally convinced that you need these ramekins, head to my Amazon store for a pair.
Back to those chicken fingers: Dip ‘em in batter, roll in ‘em seasoned corn flakes and bake right next to the mac and cheese. They’re so crunchy and perfect, no one will know they’ve been baked not fried.
- 1 cup dry macaroni
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ⅔ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups corn flakes
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt (or regular)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- First, make the macaroni and cheese. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Cook the macaroni in boiling water for about 4 minutes (it should still have a bite in the middle). Don’t overcook it because it will continue to cook it in the oven.
- Meanwhile, combine in the blender the milk, flour, onion powder and salt and blend well. Once the pasta is done, pour it in a bowl, add the milk mixture and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine. Divide the mixture between the 2 ramekins (it will seem like there’s too much liquid, but you’re okay). Sprinkle half of the breadcrumbs over each ramekin and drizzle the butter on top. Bake on a sheet pan for 45 minutes.
- While the macaroni and cheese bake, start working on the chicken fingers. In a large ziploc bag, combine the corn flakes, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Crush the corn flakes and mix well with the spices. In a small shallow bowl, beat the egg and milk together.
- Next, dip each chicken tender in the egg and milk mixture, then drop it in the bag with the cornflakes. Shake to coat each chicken tender with the cornflake mixture. Place the chicken tenders on a greased wire rack on top of a baking sheet. The chicken tenders will take 25 minutes, so put them in the oven when 25 minutes time remain for the macaroni and cheese.
- Serve the chicken fingers with your desired dipping sauces and the macaroni and cheese on the side.