Salted Almond Brittle (easy!)

I’m so easy lately.  Wait, that came out wrong.  Can I start again?

I’m the queen of easy recipes lately.  First, I gave you sticky buns made in 30 minutes with the help of frozen puff pastry.  Then, I gave you macaroni and cheese that you make in a blender. A blender!  And now, I give you brittle made in the microwave in 10 minutes.

My Mom made this recipe with salted peanuts when I was growing up.  The baking process is dangerous, though, so I wasn’t allowed to help.  I would watch from a safe distance while the sugar turned from clear to golden.  I loved the part when she stirred in the baking soda and the brittle foamed up.  So, just because this recipe is easy and consists of dumping 3 ingredients into a bowl and placing it in the microwave does not mean that your kids can help you.  We’re dealing with sugar that is almost 300 degrees.  You should also resist the urge to lick the spoon.  It looks like hard candy, but it’s actually hot lava when it comes out of the microwave.

Please watch your brittle in the microwave while it cooks, especially after you add the almonds.  If your sugar turns dark brown or black, it’s ruined.  Sorry, start over.  That said, don’t be afraid for the sugar to turn a rich amber color.  Sugar must reach a certain temperature before it will set into the proper hardness of brittle.  At most, you might need to shave 15 seconds off your cooking time.  Any more than that and your brittle won’t set up.   Use a very deep bowl because boil-overs are disasterous.  Also, use raw almonds, or your nuts will taste burnt in the final product.  You could also use raw peanuts, but in my experiments, they only need 2 minutes in the microwave after they’ve been added to the sugar in step #2.

One final tip:  you might fear that your bowl is ruined after you’ve made the brittle.  To clean your bowl, simply fill it up with warm water, let it set for an hour and the excess candy will dissolve.  No scrubbing required!

After all those warnings and complicated instructions, I should tell you that this brittle is very delicious and quite impressive, too!  The Mr. is always impressed by my homemade candy making skills.  Speaking of, did you see our engagement photos here?  You’re welcome ;)

Salted Almond Brittle (easy!)

Makes less than 1 pound of brittle, about 10 pieces
  • ¼ cup light corn syrup
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup whole raw almonds
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon butter
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  1. First, have ready a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. In a large deep bowl, stir together the corn syrup and sugar. Place in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.
  2. After 3 minutes have passed, stir in the almonds and salt. Return the mixture to the microwave for another 2½ minutes. This is the part where you have to watch to make sure it doesn't burn.
  3. Next, stir in the butter and vanilla. Microwave for another 30 seconds.
  4. Remove the bowl from the microwave and immediatley stir in the baking soda. Be careful-it foams up slightly. Then, immediately pour the mixture on the pan and spread it out quickly. Let set until cool, about 30 minutes, then break into pieces.

Comments

My daddy is brittle obsessed. There is always some peanut brittle hanging around at Christmas, and the man can’t take just one piece – he shoves huge handfuls in his mouth like it is going to be taken away from him or something.

Moral of the story: He could probably eat this entire recipe in two bites, but I bet he would love it anyway.

girl, i know EXACTLY how you feel. i literally was thinking the EXACT SAME THING. I was like “man, i love easy recipes these days”…i really think it’s cause we’re SO busy and the only thing we can really do is EASY. which, i saw these on IG today and instantly craved brittle. this looks so so amazing, Christina!!

Wow! I can’t believe you can make this in the microwave–that is nuts (and way too tempting). This looks delicious.

I’ve made brittle the other way and it is really is dangerous! So many sugar burns ready to happen, haha. This sounds much better! Thanks for the great inspiration.

I love it when I read a recipe and have everything to make it. This was cooling in the pan within 15 minutes of reading your website. Oh * so * delicious. Hubby even said it was like his grandma’s brittle – though I seriously doubt she got hers done so fast. ;)

Next decision – try again with peanuts or cashews??

That’s so good to hear, Jen! Thanks for sharing! Remember: if you use different nuts, make sure to decrease the middle microwave section. Good luck :)

This looks absolutely amazing! And it’s so true, I always think I’ve ruined my bowls after doing anything with caramel. Bu then they’re miraculously clean :)

I seriously cannot believe this was made in the microwave! It looks seriously good and I cannot wait to make it! I love to impress, especially when its easy for me ;) LOVE your engagement pictures too. You are utterly adorable!

We had a sweet little old man that lived by us and made my family brittle all the time just to let us know he cared about us. I had totally forgotten until now. So sweet.

8. Pat says

Your recipe looks good however I’m wondering about the measurements. If the recipe supposedly makes one pound of brittle, how is it that only 1/2 CUP of almonds is required? Shouldn’t it be 1/2 POUND of almonds? I’m very interested in making this recipe but want to be sure it’s accurate. Thanks so much for your speedy reply.

9. Ursula Roberts says

Hi Christina, just made a successful batch of brittle. How quick and Easy! I do however have to mention that my first batch burnt in the first the second step. My microwave is so powerful that it burnt my mixture badly. Had to start again, but this time I was very vigilant. Needless to say, my husband just finished the last piece (30 minutes after I offered him one piece). Sigh! Thanks for a wonderful recipe. X

10. liz says

Couple questions… What can you use in place of corn syrup? Also, do you have instructions for making this without a microwave? (trying to be health conscious)

• liz says

What about brown rice syrup? I’ve been able to use that in place of corn syrup in making pecan pies… Do you think that would work?

Also, I don’t have or want a microwave, that’s why I was asking for alternative instructions…

No, it will not reach the proper temperature to enable it to set into brittle. Sugar is tricky. We can make a soft cake with sugar, chewy taffy, crispy brittle, and very hard lollipops–all with the same sugar. It all has to do with the temperature of the sugar, and nothing else. The sugars in rice are a different molecular compound with slightly more components to the crytalline structure of the molecule.
          The recipe is for a small batch, which lends itself to portion control. Maybe make the recipe and share with someone to reduce your sugar intake?

I can’t advise you on how to make this recipe without a microwave. If you want to convert it, google the proper temperature for sugar to reach to make brittle. Then, make it on the stovetop with a candy thermometer. If you do that, I would toast the almonds and add them at the end. I’m imagining the almonds would burn on a stovetop for more than 10 minutes. I have not tried this, so please try at your own risk. Please be careful!

11. Shannon says

So pretty, looks so easy and sadly, just burnt the first batch ;(. My microwave is finicky and I thought I caught it but alas, it has to go into the green bin. Will definitely try again. Thanks for this and so many of your recipes, only found you a short while ago and LOVE your sweet treats.