Chocolate Cobbler

DessertForTwoChocolateCobbler2

Today marks ONE MONTH til Valentine’s Day!  Are you ready? I’m excited!  Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday.  It’s the reason Dessert For Two was invented.  It’s the kind of stuff that people who love mini ramekins, petite whisks, and 1/8-teaspoon measures thrive on.  It’s the best time of year to hold hands and share a dessert with two spoons. Get in the spirit!

I’m kicking off this month-long countdown to the most romantic day of the year with a chocolate cobbler.  If you’ve never had chocolate cobbler, another way to describe it is a brownie that comes with its own chocolate sauce.  As the top of the brownie bakes, a rich chocolate sauce forms underneath.  See?:

Dessert For Two - Chocolate Cobbler recipe for two.

It’s essentially brownie and chocolate pudding all rolled into one.  You’re going to LOVE it.  So is your sweetie.

Look, I have to say this:  If you’re spending Valentine’s Day alone, don’t fret.  Seriously.  Life is short.  You’re not going to be alone forever.  Treat yourself and eat a chocolate dessert for two.

This recipe is a little strange.  It has 3 steps.  The first step is to spread the thick brownie-like batter on the bottom.  Then, you top that with a cocoa powder & brown sugar crumble.  Then, you pour hot water all over it.  You don’t stir the water in, though. You put this dessert into the oven looking like a chocolate soupy mess.  Trust me, my sweet chocolate-loving friends, it comes out gorgeous.

You’re going to make this recipe over and over again when you’re craving something chocolatey because the ingredients are all things you normally have on hand.  Cocoa powder, sugar, milk and a little butter.

Let’s get in the spirit of love and chocolate together, shall we?

Chocolate Cobbler

• ½ cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
  • 4 tablespoons dark cocoa powder (divided use)
  • 5 tablespoons milk
  • 9 tablespoons sugar (divided use)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • ¾ teaspoon vanilla
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¾ cup hot tap water
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 and have ready a small ceramic dish that has a 1½ cup capacity.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder salt, espresso powder, and 2 tablespoons of the cocoa powder. Stir in the milk, 5 tablespoons of sugar, butter and vanilla. The batter will be very thick. Spread it in an even layer in the baking dish.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 4 tablespoons of sugar and brown sugar. Sprinkle this over the batter.
  4. Pour the hot tap water on top of everything, but DO NOT STIR.
  5. Bake the cobbler on a small sheet pan to catch overflows for 35 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving hot.
Notes
Source: I adapted this recipe from a recipe I saw on Tasty Kitchen (http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/05/a-tasty-recipe-my-grannys-chocolate-cobbler/), and a Paula Deen recipe for chocolate-pecan cobbler.

Comments

Holy mother of God. I’m making this while my husband is at work and then I’m going to hide in my closet and eat the whole. dang. thing. And I’m not going to feel guilty at all. Maybe I’ll share with him next time. Maybe!

Oh, I’m so glad you came up with a smaller version of my favorite dessert. When I was growing up we always called it Chocolate Pudding cake. I never make it now, because I can so easily eat the whole pan, but wouldn’t feel so guilty eating two servings!

3. Rosemary says

Hurray! I love this dessert (we also call it Chocolate Pudding Cake). I’ve been making your recipe for Molten Chocolate Cakes when I have a chocolate craving, but I like that this doesn’t call for any egg.

Chocolate cobblers or chocolate lava cakes or whatever you want to call them are probably one of my favorite desserts of all-time. Seriously what could be better than eating melted chocolate and it being socially acceptable?? Nothing, that’s what!

But this looks beyond amazing, I’ll definitely be making one for me, myself, and I for Valentine’s Day since I am one of those single-folk, but it will be worth every calorie :).

ummm, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU (i’m bowing down to you). I LOVE LOVE LOVE this dessert! Warm w a heaping scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a cup of java on the side! CAN’t wait to make one for us, or is it me? ha ha ha

*sigh* I am going to be alone on Valentine’s Day. Not the best holiday when you’re single. But Christina, you’ve helped me see the silver lining. I’m going to make me a chocolate cobbler for two and eat it. All. by. my. self. Yes!

I love that you love Valentine’s Day. You are too cute! I have never ever had chocolate cobbler. I am not lying to you when I tell you that I am 100% making this for my husband for our dessert on V-Day! He was never much of a dessert person, but after we got married and I started the blog, he has been converted.

I love that you love Valentine’s Day! I love it too and people always make fun of me. But I love celebrating love!

I’m totally making this. But it will be dessert for one, because my husband doesn’t like chocolate. Weirdo.

Good question, Amy! I think it’s best right out of the oven. BUT, that being said, I did store some of it after baking in the fridge and reheated the next night. Just as tasty. :)

Ooooooh, Christina! My mother used to make this for dessert on Christmas (we called it Chocolate Pudding Cake, too), but she’s been on an apple crumble kick (not that there’s anything wrong with that!) for the last few years, so it’s nice to have a scaled down version of this recipe that I can make for my husband and I – for Valentine’s, or…um…anytime! Thank you for sharing!

I love that you’re doing a month-long countdown! I just started thinking about my Valentine’s recipes today and need to get on them.

I’ve never heard of chocolate cobbler before, but it looks fantastic!!

I can’t wait to make this! Going to try it gluten free (probably use a mixture of brown rice and sweet white sorghum flours). Only problem is…I don’t think I will wait ’til Valentine’s day to make it :-) Thanks for sharing!

Yesssss! I love chocolate cobbler and I love that not very many have had it. It’s like surprise, you never knew this existed and now your world will never be the same!

13. nancy K says

I know I am late to the comment party but I just tried this the other night and it is divine! I had a hard time not inhaling the whole thing by myself. Thnks so much for developing it and posting it for all to share. I love oyur blog and check out what you ar making quite often

14. Marissa says

I just made this for my boyfriend! We’ve just demolished it and now we are in a sugar coma! These Australian taste buds are not use to this decadent southern cooking! Yee haaa!

15. Kathleen says

This was the first thing that I have ever baked that tasted and looked like it should have. It was amazing !! Thank you :)

16. Janelle says

You’ve got a minor error in your instructions. I made this for an at-home date night the other night with my husband, and based on your pictures, I used a small casserole dish. Your recipe said to use a dish with a 1 1/2 cup capacity, but I think you mean a 1 1/2 quart capacity. Big difference. I guessed right, and the dessert was aMAZing, but I didn’t know if you wanted to change it. Thanks!

Hi Janelle,

Thanks for writing. The recipe is correct: I baked it in a 1.5 cup mini baking dish to serve two. I’m baffled how you baked the same small amount of batter in a much larger baking dish. Did it fill the whole dish? Did you double the batter? After it baked, did it have any of the gooey, saucy part left?

Thanks,