Pink Macaroons

Pink Macaroons | DessertForTwo.com

Next up on the month-long countdown to Valentine’s Day:  festive pink macaroons.

These little coconut cookies look a bit unassuming.  If you think coconut macaroons are just globs of shredded coconut held together with some stuff and taste plain like coconut, I have to say you’re wrong.  As the coconut bakes in the oven, the edges get crispy and buttery.  My macaroon recipe calls for almond extract, which makes these little chewy cookies with crispy edges taste like candy.  A coconut truffle of sorts.  Once dipped in white chocolate, they are not only delicious, they are festive for Valentine’s Day.  I added one drop (seriously, just ONE) of red food coloring and they became a pretty pink.

You can put them in a cute treat bag and tie them up with pink ribbon, and then give them to your sweetie.  If you’re wise, you should choose a treat bag that holds only 4 cookies, and eat the remaining 2 cookies for yourself.  Not that I speak from experience…

Pink Macaroons | DessertForTwo.com

I shaped my cookies into little pyramids, but I’ve also made them round before.  It’s up to you.  Next time, I think I’ll make them flat to maximize the crispy brown cookie bottom edges.

My coconutty Valetines, this one is for you.

Coconut Macaroons

• 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 large egg white (1⅛ ounces)
  • ¼ teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 drop red food coloring
  • 2 ounces white chocolate
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients (except white chocolate). Use a large spoon to scoop 6 cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Do not compact the cookies or the toasty edges will not form. Scoop them loosely.
  3. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and turn it down to 325°. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
  4. If you would like to dip the cookies in chocolate, melt the chocolate in the microwave on short pulses. Pour the melted chocolate into a small bowl and dip half of each cookie in the chocolate. Let chocolate dry before serving.

Comments

Yes, Shannon, just as a liquid. No instructions on beating, nor does it call for beaten eggs. The food coloring goes in when it says ‘mix together all ingredients except white chocolate.’ Happy baking! :)

I’m in love with these in every possible way. What a FUN and absolutely lovely Valentine’s day idea. I could eat a boat load of these – but 6 will be kinder to my waistline ;)

I would have thought these were a lot more complicated to make. When I was doing a juice cleanse at the end of the day I got to have a cashew milk and a macaroon. Granted it wasn’t as awesome and luscious as these, but still I fell in love with that coconut flavor. These might just be a V-Day gift for myself.

3. Becca - Cookie Jar Treats says

Aww, these are so pretty. I thought you had actually put some strawberries into the macaroons. I’m not even sure is strawberry and coconut go together, do they? Well either way I would probably keep these all to myself if I made them.

I don’t think I’ve had macaroons since I was a kid, but I used to love them (even though I wouldn’t eat anything else with coconut in it) – I’m so glad you shared a version! There used to be a place in Kansas City that made a mean macaroon….I wonder if it’s still there.

Hi Ki, I don’t know if you should try it without sweetened coconut. Sugar is a liquid ingredient in a recipe, and without it, I’m afraid your cookies will fall apart. Sorry!

5. Donna says

Just came across your website and I love love love it. Our youngest of four boys just left for college and I need to scale down my cooking……Thank you so much for sharing!

This is my first visit to your space and I am loving it so much. I briefly browsed through your recipes and I am sure I am going to be back for more. I love macaroon and this recipe sounds so simple and perfect for a baby shower I am hosting next month. I have subscribed to your blog so I won’t miss your posts :-)

These are beautiful!! I love this Valentine’s Day countdown… I just posted my first recipe, but not sure how many more I’ll do before the big day!

I hadn’t even begun to think about V-day yet, and whether or not I would even “celebrate it,” but your posts are definitely a big push in that direction! I may not have an actual valentine, but that’s no reason why I can’t enjoy a few sweet treats. ;) The light pink color of the macaroons is simply charming.