Dinner For Two: A small pot of gumbo

Gumbo - DessertForTwo.com

Yes, we are still on a New Orleans soul food kick in this house.  I just can’t help it.  The food we had in New Orleans was outstanding.  I had a bowl of crawfish etouffe that knocked my socks off.  I ate it quickly in silence, and Brian turned to me and said “that’s the first time you’ve ever finished your food before me.”  I had a bowl of gumbo at Court of Two Sisters that left me speechless, as well.  I sopped it up with butter biscuits and rubbed my tummy like a glutton.

I recreated this gumbo at home, but without all the leftovers.  Welcome to:  a small pot of gumbo for two.  Even better:  you don’t have to stand over the stove and stir the roux until it turns a copper color.  We’re going to pre-toast the flour instead.  I suggest making a big batch of pre-toasted flour and keeping it in the fridge for the times when you need a quick roux.  When added to the oil in the pot, the roux is instantly light brown, and only minutes away from the perfect coppery hue.

Here’s what flour looks like before and after toasting.

Gumboflour - DessertForTwo.com

I learned this method in a recent issue of Southern Living, and they indicated to toast the flour til it’s the color of pecan shells.  I realize that not everyone grew up with pecan trees in their backyard (and subsequently did not watch squirrels bury pecans—a great Southern porch pasttime), I thought I’d take a photo before and after.   Several hours passed between my toasting and photographing, which explains why the green towel appears to have been toasted, too.  (Sunlight changes throughout the day, it’s true!)

I hope you enjoy this small pot of gumbo.  I worked my way through many gumbo recipes to make the most authentic tasting version.  This one is spot on.
You can find my  recipe for a small pot of Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo, head on over to Food Fanatic today.

Comments

I loooooooooooooooooove it!! My gumbo loving sweetpea and I will be making this time and again. It’s dern near impossible to find okra here in CA but farmers markets will be starting in a month so I can hang tight or make due without ;) Headed to Food Fanatic now!

I’ve never heard of toasting flour, but it’s a seriously genius idea! Definitely better than stirring roux forever! My husband’s been begging for gumbo forever, but I hate having to eat leftovers for days so this is perfect :)

Waiting for flour to turn “coppery” is one of my least favorite parts about making a thick sauce, and your idea to pretoast flour is genius! So smart girl. Thanks for sharing and keep those NOLA recipes coming. I feel like I’m on a mini-southern vacation with each one!

I was 10 when we went to New Orleans, and I’m not even kidding when I say that I STILL remember exactly our brunch at Three Sisters. Also, one word: beignets. Please recreate those next? kthanksloveyou.

We LOVE Gumbo!!! What a great recipe! Seriously, I can not wait to make this! The gumbo recipe I have serves like 25, No joke! So I am vary happy to see this recipe! YUM!

I hope this spicy kick y’all are having never stops – love it!

I’ve actually been meaning to make gumbo all winter and never did…! But it’s still chilly enough here to get down on a small pot of it, so maybe this weekend!!!

Love this recipe, Christina! Toasted flour is definitely the new browned butter. You heard it here, first. You did all the hard work for us with the recipe development and testing batch after batch to come up with an authentic Gumbo…with toasted flour to speed up “Ol’ Faithful”, dark roux. (Who knew? Southern Living Magazine? LOVE. THEM.) And, this Gumbo is just for two! WICKED PERFECT. The Big Lug adores Cajun-Creole dishes. He won’t know what hit him. Thank you so much, Christina! *mwah!*