Greek Yogurt Truffles

Yogurt-Truffles-4

I have long dreamt of yogurt truffles.

Truffles are my favorite dessert to sneak when no one’s looking.  I slyly pop one on my tongue and it dissolves into bliss.

My love affair with truffles was getting a bit obsessive. The heavy cream containers in the trash were judging me.  I knew there had to be a slightly healthier version of truffles that I could enjoy guilt-free. (Did you ever see my mashed potato truffles? Man alive, are those good!). Enter yogurt:  one of my favorite ingredients in the kitchen.  The truth is, I haven’t bought sour cream in years.  When a recipe calls for sour cream, I substitute plain Greek yogurt.

I use a thick, high-quality Greek yogurt that only has 2 ingredients (milk and live cultures; I’ll share more on ingredient simplicity in a minute).  I used Chobani 2%.  I mention the brand here because there are brands of Greek yogurt that are not as thick or as consistent.

Yogurt-Truffles-5

I think these yogurt truffles are fabulous. I may never go back to the real thing.

I melted a bar of white chocolate, stirred in enough yogurt for some tang, and stuffed a strawberry bite in the middle.  I rolled them in sparkling sugar and powdered sugar.  My favorite way to eat them is with powdered sugar on the outside, but if you like some crunch, roll them in sparkling sugar.  Or, roll them in nothing at all and enjoy this 3-ingredient dessert!

Yogurt-Truffles-1

Remember I said I had a rant about the purity of ingredients?  Get ready.

Yogurt-Truffles-3

So, it’s gross, but I have to tell you:  there are a lot of white chocolate impostors out there. The ingredient list on a white chocolate bar should read ‘cocoa butter, sugar and vanilla’.  Not much else.  Corn syrup? No. Palm kernel oil?  Definitely not.  Soy lecithin?  Not a chance.  Be real!  Eat real!  And eat Greek yogurt truffles!

Disclosure:  The folks at Chobani sent me their product for review.  The opinions  expressed here are 100% my own.  And I love Chobani!

Greek Yogurt Truffles

Yields 8 truffles. Recipe is easily doubled.
  • 4 oz. real white chocolate
  • ⅓ cup plain 2% Chobani Greek yogurt (unsweetened)
  • 2 strawberries, hulled
  • optional: powdered sugar or sparkling sugar for rolling
  1. Chop the white chocolate into small pieces. Add it to a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave on LOW in 15-second pulses, stirring between each pulse. Do not let it get too hot, or it will sieze. If it does sieze, add a little yogurt and try again.
  2. Stir the yogurt into the melted white chocolate. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 1 hour. Before proceeding, chop the strawberries into bite-size pieces.
  3. Working quickly, scoop teaspoon-size balls of the white chocolate mixture. Roll it in your hands briefly to form a ball. Insert a piece of strawberry, and use extra white chocolate mixture to seal in the strawberry.
  4. Optional: Roll the truffles in powdered sugar or sugar crystals.
  5. Chill the truffles for 1 hour before serving, and store any uneaten truffles in the fridge.

Comments

healthier truffles that allow me to eat EXTRA bites of melty deliciousness?! I’m so in. Love this inventive use of greek yogurt!

Mmm. I love chobani greek yogurt and these truffles sound amazing! I have never mad a dessert with only white chocolate, but I am thinking I need to try! Oh and I love the strawberry hiding in the middle!

What a gorgeous idea! I’m also intrigued by these mashed potato truffles – they sound horrible but if you say they’re nice I totally trust you – going over to check out that post now!

I’m definitely making these…just as soon as I can get my hands on some real white chocolate. I’m sold! These are gorgeous and I love the tang of yogurt – I know these would be a huge hit in my purse….I mean….house…. ;)

You don’t have to tell US twice to use real white chocolate. We’d never dream of touching the other stuff with a 10-foot pole! These look divine, Christina. I can practically taste ‘em through the screen!

Amy, @Chobani

These sound incredible! Do you think they can be made with regular milk or dark chocolate instead of the white chocolate?

Good question, Jen. I didn’t try it with any other type of chocolate, but I can’t imagine it would be any different. You might need to firm them up in the freezer to make up for the lower levels of cocoa butter in the other types of chocolate. Good luck!

We are guilty pleasure twins–I have an unhealthy obsession with truffles that I have no intention to change. Last night for “exercise” I walked…to a chocolate shop that sells amazing truffles and just “happened” to be giving out free samples (which I devoured on the spot). Member of the Godiva rewards club (note: you get a free truffle every month): Check! Box in my desk drawer: Check! I’ve been needing a healthier recipe, and these are just the ticket. Though I love Cho and put it in just about everything, I never would have thought about truffles. Yet another reason you rock!

8. anonymous says

Hi Christina:

These look awesome! I’m wondering if they are sturdy enough to pack for a summertime picnic?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, they are fragile when exposed to heat. You could try freezing them as long as you think you’ll be eating them within the hour? Just a heads up: the fresh strawberries will weep once frozen.
      Good luck! :)

-Christina

Wow! I love greek yogurt and use it in so many things. I would never have thought to do a truffle with it! What a delicious treat!

Oh, girl! (Yes, I am still stalking your blog. Can’t help it with these tremendous recipes and enticing photos!) You are preachin’ to the choir with your “purity of ingredients” mantra. And, I dig that! Totally agree with you here. So glad you’re not too shy to chat about it. LOVE this recipe! It is so me. Thank you for sharing! Pinning! xo