Is it okay if we drink a little moonshine and forget our troubles?
Granted, my only ‘troubles’ are the weather went from snow to 90-degrees too quickly, and the fact that weekends only last 2 days. But, troubles are troubles, and moonshine soothes all.
Is there a pink drink that doesn’t brighten your day?
A ‘smash’ is an easy drink to make: you smash fresh fruit in the bottom of a jar with a sprinkle of sugar, herbs if you like, and top with your alcohol of choice. For this rhubarb smash, I muddled fresh rhubarb and strawberries with sugar and lime. I think herbs overpower the raw rhubarb, so I left them out.
If you ask me which moonshine is the best, I’ll tell you to drive to Tennessee and buy Popcorn Sutton’s moonshine. I’ve tasted a lot of ‘shine in my day, and Popcorn Sutton really knew what he was doing. His moonshine is smooth. Yes, smooth! Most other moonshines taste like rubbing alcohol (sorry it’s true). So, that said, use moonshine if you like it and you live in Tennessee, if not, vodka works great here.
Drink up! Rhubarb season is short!
- 2 6"-long stalks of rhubarb, about the thickness of your thumb
- 2 strawberries, hulled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lime, quartered
- 4 shots moonshine (or vodka)
- First, dice the rhubarb into small ½" chunks. Slice the strawberries.
- Place half the fruit in the bottom of a metal cocktail shaker. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 2 of the lime quarters. Muddle the fruit and sugar together with the handle of a wooden spoon until the rhubarb mostly disintegrates. Add 2 shots of moonshine on top and stir.
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice, shake, and strain the drink into serving glass.
- Repeat with the remaining fruit and moonshine.
- Serve immediately.