Frozen Coconut Mousse

…with Dark Chocolate Magic Shell.

Frozen-Coconut-Mousse-1

I’m either taking up residence in the freezer, or only eating frozen food until summer is over.  It is too darn hot.  Oh, plus humidity.  Frozen grapes, frozen peas, and frozen coconut mousse can sustain me for a few days, right?

This frozen coconut mousse is my summertime dream:  rich, smooth and creamy.  The dark chocolate magic shell is the perfect crunchy cap on the mousse.  With only 5 ingredients, it can be your dream, too!

Frozen mousse is a way to have ice cream without an ice cream maker. I made a similar frozen lemon mousse with warm white chocolate sauce last summer.  The recipes for lemon and coconut mousse would be great layered together in the same ramekin with a caramel drizzle. If your math is good, the two recipes together would make a dessert that serves four. (for everyone who asks me if they can double my recipes.)

Maybe I can live off that for a few days until the heat wave subsides…

Frozen-Coconut-Mousse-2

I used 6-ounce ramekins to make 2 perfect portions. You can find them here.

Frozen Coconut Mousse

Yield: 2 ramekins
For the coconut mousse:
  • 2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil
  • 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
  • ⅓ cup sugar
For the dark chocolate magic shell:
  • 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips
  1. Begin by greasing two ramekins with the coconut oil, and making room in the freezer.
  2. In a small bowl, stir together all of the ingredients for the mousse. Stir very well to dissolve the sugar. Divide between the ramekins, cover and freeze for 4 hours.
  3. To make the dark chocolate magic shell, heat the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave on medium for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth, reheating in 15-second intervals if necessary.
  4. When you’re ready to serve, fill a bowl with hot water. Dip just the bottoms of the ramekins in the hot water to melt the coconut oil and release the mousse. Dump the mousse on a serving plate and top with the chocolate sauce.
  5. *You do not have to un-mold these to serve. You could eat them directly out of the ramekins with the sauce poured on top. If you’re doing this, the coconut oil is unnecessary in step 1.

Comments

Loving this easy, frozen dessert recipe, Christina! We have been enjoying homemade magic shell on top of our Coconut Bliss or homemade coconut milk ice cream nearly nightly since summer started. Pure genius to add cream cheese! Thanks for sharing and keep cool! Pinning! xo

I cannot believe how easy this recipe is!! My math isn’t good enough for doubling recipes, so I’ll keep this as is and just hide it way in the back of the freezer. So noone else gets any :)

I’m going to have to start buying stock in coconut milk, since all of the recipes I want to try are made with it. I also have fallen in love with homemade magic shell.. it’s so good.

I hear ya about the heat. I’ve been avoiding turning anything in the kitchen on and pretty much just want to eat salad laying on my kitchen floor. ;) Frozen mousse sounds like fun!! Gorgeous photos of a gorgeous dessert!

You know it’s hot when I wished earlier today that I was waiting tables again, if only so I could hang out in the walk-in cooler. Is it possible to drown in one’s own sweat?

Gimme that mousse.

I’ve been contemplating how I can live in the freezer too….that and bath in a tub of ice-cream! These look like the perfect way to help cool off!

Oh Kansas humidity…I know it well. Ice cream is a very, very good solution though Christina! That hard shell is awesome!

I need some frozen/cold treats in my life that aren’t ice cream…you know, for variety. :P The tropical coconut flair in this would make me feel like i was on a sandy beach…even if I was really in the air conditioning at home. :)

Girl I hear ya! It’s so darn hot here all I want to do is live in a walk in cooler! We joke that it feels like we are farming in wet suits. Totally gross. This dessert sounds so lovely and cooling right now!

10. Meredith says

My husband and I made this for dessert over the weekend. It was so refreshing and super easy to make!