…with Dark Chocolate Magic Shell.
I’m either taking up residence in the freezer, or only eating frozen food until summer is over. It is too darn hot. Oh, plus humidity. Frozen grapes, frozen peas, and frozen coconut mousse can sustain me for a few days, right?
This frozen coconut mousse is my summertime dream: rich, smooth and creamy. The dark chocolate magic shell is the perfect crunchy cap on the mousse. With only 5 ingredients, it can be your dream, too!
Frozen mousse is a way to have ice cream without an ice cream maker. I made a similar frozen lemon mousse with warm white chocolate sauce last summer. The recipes for lemon and coconut mousse would be great layered together in the same ramekin with a caramel drizzle. If your math is good, the two recipes together would make a dessert that serves four. (for everyone who asks me if they can double my recipes.)
Maybe I can live off that for a few days until the heat wave subsides…
I used 6-ounce ramekins to make 2 perfect portions. You can find them here.
- 2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Begin by greasing two ramekins with the coconut oil, and making room in the freezer.
- In a small bowl, stir together all of the ingredients for the mousse. Stir very well to dissolve the sugar. Divide between the ramekins, cover and freeze for 4 hours.
- To make the dark chocolate magic shell, heat the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave on medium for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth, reheating in 15-second intervals if necessary.
- When you’re ready to serve, fill a bowl with hot water. Dip just the bottoms of the ramekins in the hot water to melt the coconut oil and release the mousse. Dump the mousse on a serving plate and top with the chocolate sauce.
- *You do not have to un-mold these to serve. You could eat them directly out of the ramekins with the sauce poured on top. If you’re doing this, the coconut oil is unnecessary in step 1.