Boozy Pomegranate Cider

Pomegranate-Cider-5a

I whipped up this boozy cider on the first night it was acceptable to turn on the fire place. Wait, our fireplace has been on since September thanks to the fact that my husband accidentally paid the gas bill twice one month…one month, twelve months ago. And then, he continued to keep paying it, even though the billing total was in parentheses each month.  Everybody knows parentheses means negative balance! (Everybody except my husband). So, basically we have, like, negative one thousand dollars credit to the gas company and we’re moving out of this house soon.

Ergo, the fireplace has been on for a while.  But but but, the minute it was socially acceptable to have a warm drink by the fire, I made this hot pomegranate cider.

Pomegranate-Cider-2

I picked up a batch of local fresh-pressed apple cider and mixed it with pomegranate juice.  You can juice the pomegranate yourself if you’re up for a challenge (I’m now imagining you pinching hundreds of pomegranate seeds between your fingers), but I just buy the bottled stuff.  Then, I steeped the two juices with sliced fresh ginger, a clove and cinnamon sticks.

Oh, don’t  forget the booze.  I added dark rum to mine, and bourbon to my husband’s.  We tasted both and decided that rum tastes better.  But hey, the world is your oyster, stir in whatever fire water you like.

BOOZY POMEGRANATE CIDER

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 2
  • 2 cups pomegranate juice
  • 1 cup fresh, unfiltered apple cider
  • 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
  • 1 clove
  • 2½" slices of ginger
  • 2 shots dark rum or whiskey (optional)
  1. In a small saucepan, add all ingredients except booze. Turn the heat to medium and let the mixture come to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes or so, until it's nice and fragrant.
  2. Divide between two warm mugs, and add a shot of rum to each mug. Serve immediately.

Comments

I’m so glad you also agree that it is now socially acceptable to have the fire place on. Because I have been DYING to turn mine on (we’re waiting for repair). Either way, I’m going to sit by it, pretend it is on and drink one of these babies. They look amazing!

Okay, must get this question of the way. How in the world did you get those pomegranates to sit on the rim of the glass like that?!? Craziness.

Also, also, also, this drink looks amazing! Huge fan of pomegranates and need to make this. Would make the perfect pre-Thanksgiving drink. And keep that fireplace on, you deserve it! :)

haha, Laura! Thanks for asking. I consider the art of decorating a drink to be a blogging skill. I chopped the pomegranate into chunks (leaving the skin on), inserted a toothpick in them and leaned it in the drink. The cloudy apple cider is hiding the toothpick in the glass. I posted a photo of how I did it on Instagram. My IG name is dessertfortwo :)

“I’m now imagining you pinching hundreds pomegranate seeds between your fingers” Haha, this made me laugh out loud. That would take forever! This looks so tasty. I wish I had a fireplace to drink this in front of. Instead I’ll pop in my recorded fireplace DVD that I watch all the time like a dork when I’m reading to feel cozy. Hey, it’s better than nothing!

Gorgeous and using one, not two…wait THREE of my favorite ingredients!

I’m thinking you will get a refund from the gas company if you move, right? But hey, any excuse to have a fire works for me. I’m not going to have a fireplace in my new home…it was a tough call but I’m sort of excited about about a whole wall I can do something with ALL year. Until I read about a cozy fire and then I wonder if I was nuts!

I wish my gas bill had a parentheses one thousand dollars at the bottom of it! Too bad credits aren’t transferable ;) I’m thinking you need to write a cocktail cookbook. This thing looks like it goes down all too easy.

Haha, on noes! Although, having a fire going constantly sounds super cozy, especially with something sippable like this. I’ve been on a serious pomegranate kick as of late, and have been playing with the idea of doing a cocktail of some sort. Cider sounds like the perfect addition — yum!

7. Lisa says

On the ginger….is it TWO 1/2 inch slices, or ONE 2.5 inch slice? I know it’s not a huge difference…just wanted to confirm.

Thanks!