We’re back on the cake mix bandwagon, my friends!—but this time: chocolate cake mix. These cupcakes require 1 cup of cake mix from a box of chocolate devil’s food cake mix. If you’re curious about the exact type of cake mix, here is a link.
Do not buy cake mix that comes with a pudding or chocolate sauce packet. Chocolate cake mix that says ‘the pudding is already in the mix’ is totally fine. I feel like I shouldn’t have to say this, but just in case you were thinking it: no, brownie mix will not work. But thanks for the idea, I will definitely work on some scaled down desserts using a brownie mix in the future!
This recipe makes just 6 chocolate cupcakes. They bake up perfectly, and the ganache dip with crushed candy canes couldn’t be easier. I had leftover crushed candy canes from my Peppermint Mocha Affogato, and instantly knew that their destiny was a wet pool of ganache.
I can think of lots of occasions where you want to give someone a sweet treat, but 2 dozen cupcakes is overkill. Everyone loves a small batch of cupcakes. You can dress up the top of the cupcakes however you like: instead of crushed candy canes, would you fancy sprinkles? Mini chocolate chips? Chopped nuts? Endless possibilities from 1 cup of cake mix. Life is sweet, isn’t it?
- 1 cup chocolate devil's food dry cake mix
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cream
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 crushed candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350, and line a cupcake pan with 6 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix, egg, water and cream. Beat with an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Divide the cake batter into the 6 cupcake liners, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter in the microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring between each. It should only take 2-3 pulses. Stir in the peppermint extract once the mixture is melted smooth.
- Have the crushed candy canes ready in a bowl. Dip the top of each cupcake in the melted chocolate, and then roll in the crushed candy canes.
- You can let the chocolate harden in the fridge for 30 minutes, but do not store the cupcakes in the fridge any longer than that because the candy canes will weep.