Double Coconut Crunch Muffins

Coconut-Millet-Muffins-037b

I packed these little puppies in my bag for our big move.  I can’t get enough of their crunchiness.  The crunchy ingredient is raw millet, but I didn’t want to scare you off with millet in the recipe title.  No, you don’t have to have a beak to eat millet! When raw millet is stirred into muffin batter, it bakes up with a delicate bite.

I first had millet in a muffin when I worked  in Monterey, California.  The fields where I grew my crops for my Master’s thesis research were in Salinas, but my professor didn’t mind that I booked a hotel room in Monterey on the ocean.  I would wake up at 5am, and drive from Monterey through the strawberry and lettuce fields to Salinas.  I passed a Starbucks at the half-way point, and  I loved to stop in for my daily venti hot Zen tea and grab a muffin.  I bought a bran muffin one day with large chunks of dates and little balls of unidentifiable crunchiness.  I couldn’t figure out what gave the muffin such delicious crunch, so I went back the next morning and asked the barista.  She told me ‘raw millet’ and I nodded like I knew what that was and had been eating millet all my life—hah!  I stopped in the grocery store later that day, and have been stirring millet into my muffins ever since.

Coconut-Millet-Muffins-030b2

Think of the millet as tiny pieces of walnuts, and do not be afraid!  Plus, it’s healthy, ok?  There, I said it—these are healthy with raw millet and coconut oil instead of butter.  Now, wake me when it’s February and you’re ready to eat rich desserts again, mmmk?

Double Coconut Crunch Muffins

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Yield: 4 muffins
Serves: 2
  • ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
  • ½ cup light coconut milk (at room temperature)
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ cup + 2 tablespoons flour
  • ¾ teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • ¼ cup raw millet
  • ¼ cup sweet coconut flakes
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 and line 4 cups in a muffin pan with liners.
  2. In a small saucepan (or microwave), melt the coconut oil gently. Stir in the coconut milk, sugar and egg. Stir very well to combine.
  3. Next, sprinkle the flour, baking powder, salt and millet over the wet mixture. Stir gently to combine (do not over mix).
  4. Divide the batter between the 4 muffin cups and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of coconut on top of each muffin.
  5. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve warm. They will keep for 2 days wrapped at room temperature.

Comments

1. Genia says

Okay, I will be giving millet a try this week and sneaking it on on my family … none the wiser! Thanks for sharing this great tidbit!

These muffins look amazing! I want to take them with me on every car ride ever! Reading your post made me realize I need to take a trip to the ocean. I LOVE Monterey and Carmel and it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been to the coast. I’d be happy as a clam to take a batch of these muffins down there to keep me energized for the car ride. I’ve never used millet and this is definitely on my to-do list! Hope you had a marvelous move!!

3. Julie says

Ok. I’m out of it. Where do you find millet? Remember I’m in central IL and we are WAY behind. Also, I had a facebook friend whine about desserts being too big for her and her husband, so I sent her (and, hopefully, another gal that commented) over to here so that they can get in on the loveliness of your site. Hope that the move is getting under control. Been thinking about you! xoxo

Thanks for keeping us on your mind, Momma Swope! I would love to hear the moving truck stuck in snow story to cheer us up!

Thanks for sending your friend my way! :)

I find millet in the bulk section of a regular grocery store. Worst case, Whole Foods has it in their bulk (for the small price of your right arm). It’s bird food-it should be cheap! Cheep cheep! Get it? Ok, I’m done. xo

I’d never betray you! You give me such delicious cupcake recipes! And your crispy magic buttercream pretty much solidifies that my first born shall be named Kristan (and pronounced accordingly!)

Maybe start with 3 tablespoons of millet? :)

• Julie says

Okey doke! I’ll see if I can find it. No Whole Foods here. The grocery stores in this town are past sad. So, yeah. Horrible weather when we moved. We came over here to close and had black ice the whole way over. Started snowing, and finally got the movers to start packing us up. Took Stephie to my mama’s to stay and headed over to get us moved in. Horrendous snow (again), and there is a slight hill coming down to our subdivision. Moving van missed the turn and ended up in the ditch in the road before our subdivision. Meanwhile, Jerry did the same thing, so we had to call the tow truck twice to get them out. Then, it was icing (along with the snow) and the movers took my antique china cabinet (that was my great-grandmother’s that has curved glass on the sides) and SLID IT DOWN THE RAMP to get it out of the van. I did not see this, but found it in the garage. When asked why it was in the garage instead of the house, they admitted what they had done. Of course, the entire side was scraped up (thank the Lord that the glass was not broken) and the door was partially pulled off. Oh, and they wrapped the marble top to my coffee table (which was my grandparent’s) in brown paper. I had two tops when they unwrapped it. Unfortunately, it no longer fit the top. It was a disaster. However, it all came out ok. The movers paid to have everything fixed, and we’re where we are supposed to be. Hope everything is in one piece. Come see us!!

I’m all for a healthy muffin! I’m on a big coconut oil kick too. Haven’t cooked or baked much with millet, but I’m always interested in trying out new ingredients! Plus, healthy means I can eat more muffins…right?

I love everything about these muffins. You didn’t scare me with the millet. Love the idea of this “secret” weapon! Your early morning drive through the strawberry and lettuce fields sounds magical.

I hope you all are settling into the new place. I SO wish we were neighbors! The next time you move will you please consider Oregon? I feel like we are soul sisters :)

I have 11 parrots so I always had millet in my home but it wasn’t till about 4 years ago I realized I could get millet at the health food store and eat it too. I use it as a substitute for rice. It’s really good.

I’m obsessed with millet in my banana bread, and am now going to start adding it to more baked goodies. Love this story about CA too! Ohhh so true. I got a a funny look this past week when I asked what an acai bowl was, lol

8. Molly says

I am making these for the second time as I type this- SO yummy! I love the addition of millet as well as the slightly sweet coconut-y taste. I have to eat dinner in the car quite a bit and adding these to my bag make it not quite as bad. Thanks for the great recipe!