A small batch of BEIGNETS.

Beignet-recipe-7

I’m just going to say it:  this is the best recipe that has ever come out of my kitchen.  Sorry to be so demonstrative, but I’m still on a powdered sugar high.  I bought a 7-pound bag at Costco last week.

I’m a beignet freak.  They make me a bit emotionally unstable, as in, I must eat them all!  When you work around desserts and sugar constantly, you learn to be selective about how you rack up your calories.  I can resist most desserts.  I’ll have two bites and save the rest of my calories for wine, thanks.  But these beignets?  I ate them mere minutes after their photo shoot was over.

Beignet-recipe-1

If you don’t want to dive into that bowl, there might be something wrong with you. Sorry to break it to you this way.  More powdered sugar for ya?

I love to fry.  Are you are scared of it?  Please, don’t be scared!  If you avoid frying because of the splattering mess, use a deep pot. I posted a video of these beignets while they were frying, and you can tell, I use a very deep pot when frying. {video here}  Does the smell of fried food linger in your house? Light a candle afterwards. Do anything that allows you to tackle your fear of frying. Your taste buds will thank you.

Beignet-recipe-8

A good beignet has a puff of air in the middle after frying.  See it above?  So PUFFY.

This is what deep-fried love looks like:

Beignet-recipe-5

Ok, you’re all set to fry!  Let me know if you have any questions as you venture down the road of homemade beignets.

Wait, one more thing:  this rad chick named Erika made beignets using duck fat.  I can’t get them out of my mind.  Most of Erika’s recipes have that affect on me.  Check out here site: Southern Souffle.

southernsouffle

Photo courtesy of Erika Council of Southern Souffle.

Beignets

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Yield: 10 2"-square beignets
Serves: 2
  • 2 tablespoons warm water (105°F)
  • ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 2 teaspoon vegetable shortening
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (plus a pinch for yeast proofing)
  • 3 tablespoons whole milk
  • 1 large egg white
  • 3 tablespoons boiling water
  • 1¼ cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for rolling)
  • 2 cups neutral oil for frying (I use canola)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  1. In the same bowl you heated the water to 105° in, add the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Stir to dissolve. Let it sit and confirm the yeast is active---it will foam. If it does not foam, throw it out and start over.
  2. Meanwhile, combine the shortening, sugar, milk, and egg white in a small cup. Whisk together well, then add the boiling water. Test the temperature of this mixture, and when it's between 105-110°, add it to the foamy yeast mixture. Stir well.
  3. Add the flour to the bowl, and stir gently to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 1 hour. You can make the dough ahead of time up to this point. I have kept dough for 3 days in the fridge before frying, and it's fine.
  4. Heat the oil in a deep pot to 360°.
  5. Meanwhile, divide the dough in half, and roll it out on a floured counter into a square about 6" wide. Use a pizza wheel to cut it into 5 or 6 squares. (see photo above for reference)
  6. When the oil is at 360°, drop in 3 square of dough. Do not walk away. The first side fries for 1-2 minutes. When golden brown on one side, flip the squares using a fork and continue to fry. When that side is golden brown (about 1 minute more), remove from the oil onto a cooling rack lined with paper towels.
  7. Roll out the other half of the dough, cut into squares, and fry all the squares.
  8. After cooling for about 5 minutes, dunk the beignets into the powdered sugar. Serve with all the extra powdered sugar piled on top.
Notes
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.

Comments

I LOVE BEIGNEEEETS!! I’m not much of a fryer, but beignets are the one thing I would willingly sack up and fry for. Seriously. I’m ready to go into an emotionally unstable sugar high for these gorgeous guys!

Umm..yes. I love beignets! The best ones I’ve ever had, typically, were in New Orleans at Cafe du Monde. I bit into them and my entire face got dusted with a thin layer of powdered sugar! Which was more than worth it.

These look beautiful Christina!!! And now I have to check out those duck fat beignets, because well….WOH.

3. Julie says

Gee whiz, I love you. I’m not sure if I love you more for posting these, or for using shortening and canola oil or dousing them in lots of sugar. I need these in my life and I just might be making them this weekend and pretending that I’m in New Orleans and am warm, enjoying Mardi Gras and NOT looking at another 6″ of snow.

This is late but I was out of town when I noticed you on Twitter. Welcome to St Louis! I also moved just a couple of years ago from Atlanta, but I love this city so much more than I ever thought I would.
    I’ve loved your blog for a while so it’s funny that we’re now in the same city! Also, these beignets look AMAZING. I’m going to New Orleans next weekend so I’ll be eating a lot of them, so excited! And then I’ll probably come back in withdrawal.
    PS. If you want to try the best beignets with a salted caramel whipped cream, head to Cleveland-Heath! All their food is outstanding but those beignets practically melt in your mouth :)

Thanks so much, Amrita! We just committed to NOLA for Mardi Gras next year for sure. Things just crept up on us this year with the move in January. I hope you have a blast! Thansk for the Cleveland-Heath rec! I’m collecting STL food recs like crazy right now. :)

Wow! I’ve also heard about those beignets using duck fat and it’s been on my mind, too! I also watched some special the other day and didn’t realized until then that Cafe du Monde only has beignets on the menu when it comes to food. A good, warm beignet is such a beautiful thing – I may have to get over my reluctance to fry. These look amazing – I would only ask for a teeny bit of warm chocolate on the side to dunk a few in… : )

Hi Lisa,

I strain my oil, and then save it for my next fry session. Every time you fry in a oil, the crust that results becomes more golden. This is why clean oil produces a light brown crust, and older oil produces a darker crust. This is also why chicken nuggets at fast food places are so dark, and when you make them yourself, they’re lighter. That said, do not use oil that you fried fish in previously for beignets. I mark my used oil ‘savory’ or ‘sweet.’ Hope this helps :)

I ate ALL THE BEIGNETS when I was in NOLA last year…and now I’m definitely feeling a withdrawal coming on. WANT. NEED. MUST HAVE.

Your Beignets look marvelous. I always have to control myself when I eat them because I tend to inhale the powdered sugar into my lungs! Beignets fried in duck fat- Wow! If I’m not mistaken, Erika’s grandmother is Mama Dip of Mama Dip’s restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC. That family definitely knows how to do some good southern cookin!

7 pound bag??? That is why I love costco. Too bad I haven’t been in forever.
    This looks fantastic. Small batch you say? That just means I can eat them all in one sitting :p

9. Sara says

Ok, I know I’m tardy to the party, but I have a question about beingets that needs answered. The boyfriend has had a crap week of working a lot of nights in a row, so I was going to make these for breakfast this weekend (as I’m pretty sure NOLA had a beinget shortage after we left) but what do you serve with them to make it brunch (besides more beingets)?

Hi Sara! I serve it with a side of powdered sugar. Hah, I kid (kinda). What about salty things to off-set all the sweet? How about thick-cut bacon and a fruit salad with a lime-ginger dressing?

10. cowgirl says

If I were to put in the fridge to make later do they need to sit out at room temp a specific amount of time before frying? Great blog.

Hi! Thanks :)
      I put the dough in the fridge before rolling out. I find that the time it takes to roll out the dough and preheat the oil is enough time for it to come to an acceptable temperature to fry. I hope this helps!

11. Susan Wales says

They’re worth frying for!!!! To die for beignets! There are three things I absolutely love…almond croissants, popovers, and beignets! Susan Wales