Best Macaroons

Best Macaroons | dessertfortwo.com
Stop right there.  You know the best part of a macaroon is the crispy brown edges.  So why do we scoop and stack the coconut, preventing the browning process?  When we scoop, the only pieces of coconut that become toasty are the stray pieces that survive compaction by cookie scoop.  That is not enough!  I need more toasty bits in my life!

I smashed my macaroons flat on the baking sheet before baking, and now, I won’t do it any other way.  You’ve got me:  I’m a former scooper.  I’ve done it.  Twice.  Not any longer.  Flat macaroons maximize the toasted coconut flavor and crispiness.  Yes, they are still chewy in the middle.  They’re pretty much perfect.  They don’t need a drizzle of chocolate, but why not?

Best Macaroons | dessertfortwo.com

I have a friend (yo, Martin!) that makes these cookies gluten-free by simply leaving out the flour or substituting potato starch.  While I haven’t tried that, the amount of flour is so low in these cookies, I think you’re free to experiment.  Run free, my child.

Need an easy cookie for Easter?  These are especially cute when dyed fun pastel colors.  Check out my pink macaroons dipped in white chocolate:

Pink Macaroons | DessertForTwo.com

As cute as they are, you will never again catch me scooping coconut mounds for macaroons.  Flat is where it’s at!

I should have flipped a cookie over and taken a photo of its butt, because they’re nice and toasty.  I want toasty buns like these cookies.  Where is the sun?  Hello, Spring?  Are you listening?  The world is ready for you.

Best Macaroons | Dessertfortwo.com

I hope I have forever changed your macaroon recipe.  Smash ‘em flat! Maximize the crisp!

Best Macaroons

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Yield: 6 cookies
Serves: 2
  • 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 large egg white (1⅛ ounces)
  • ¼ teaspoon almond extract
  • ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon oil (for chocolate, if using)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Stir well.
  3. Add the egg white and almond extract and stir very well, until no dry patches remain.
  4. Divide the dough in half with your eye, and then scoop ⅓ of each half onto the baking sheet (to equal 6 cookies total). Using your fingers, press the cookies flat. The flatter, the better.
  5. Place the cookie sheet in the oven, then turn the heat down to 325. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Do not be afraid of darn brown edges!
  6. Let cookies cool on sheet for 1 minute, then move to a rack to cool completely.
  7. If dunking in chocolate: Before serving, melt the chocolate and oil in a double boiler until smooth. Dip the cookies in the chocolate, and serve.

Comments

I do love all that toasty coconut goodness. But there I times I love the chewy texture of the inside of the macaroon. Guess I need to make a batch and do half and half. And that chocolate stripe drizzle…LOVE IT!!!!!

2. wendyb964 says

I’ll be making these today. Have made macaroons GF in the past by using almond meal-good taste.

Dude, we are in major cahoots! I have macaroons on the brain too.. posting some tonight.. AND I smushed them too.. but for different reasons that yours. But now that you mention it, crispies are the besties!

4. Christinem says

I am not a fan of coconut, but toast it up and I like it much better. This is RIGHT up my alley to try out and be happy!

Oooh, it’s been so long since I’ve had a good macaroon! I’ve always been afraid to attempt them at home, because for some reason I’ve convinced myself they would be too hard… which is silly. These look super easy to make, and I love that you smashed them down. Those browned edges are where it’s at!

6. Kim a says

Hi Christina,
    I recently found your blog and I LOVE IT! I love making desserts, but my husband doesn’t eat too many sweets, so I either end up eating it all or throwing it away. I love that your recipes are pared down to serve two people (or one person for a couple of days). Oddly enough, I have been wanting something with coocnut in it, so tonight I am going to make these macaroons. Thank you so much for your patience and diligence in creating recipes for two.

Bahaha you are hilarious! Maybe I’m weird, but I actually love the doughy part of scooped macaroons too…so I’d have to be the pain in the &** lady who makes two kinds. So I can eat both kinds. Because the toasty edges are calling to me.

Yes, ma’am! In the third paragraph of this post, I mentioned that my friend Martin makes these cookies gluten free all the time. He either leaves out the flour all together, or he subs potato starch or almond flour. Best of luck! :)

Hi Carolyn! I’m not sure..I haven’t made them that way. Do you have the big chips of coconut or the shreds? I think they might burn. But you could certainly try it. Add extra sugar to make up for it? Best of luck! And let me know :)

8. vicki says

I thought it was recommended to let the “dough” harden first after dropping it onto the baking sheet before baking it?

9. Traci b says

Just made these and you are soooooo right! I’m glad I flattened them. Plan to incorporate caramel next time along with some dark chocolate and get a little girly scout situation going!

10. Stacie says

I will be smashing my macaroons next time, its sounds great. The crispy edges are the best. I started toasting my shredded coconut before making the macaroons. This gives you toasted pieces througout the cookie.