Grilled Pimento Cheese + Fried Pickles

Pimiento Cheese and Fried Pickle Sandwich | dessertfortwo.com

This sandwich has a soundtrack.  I was styling the shot (oh my gosh, if you’re not a food blogger, can I just tell you how much actually goes into photo styling?  Q-tips, tweezers, the need for 3 hands, etc.)  Sorry, rant over.

Anyway, an old Fruit Bats song was playing on my Pandora station, and I found myself singing the words lovingly to this sandwich.

When you love somebody it’s hard to think about anything but to breathe.

When I’m eating this sandwich, it’s hard to think about anything but to breathe.

If I could miraculously quit breathing so I could fit more bites in my mouth, I would.  So dang good.

Pimiento Cheese and Fried Pickle Sandwich | dessertfortwo.com

I had a replica of this sandwich in Birmingham, Alabama at Saw’s BBQ, and it’s been on my mind ever since.  It was one of those sandwiches that takes your breath away.  (see what I did there?)

I’m not going to tell you that my pimento cheese recipe is better than your Momma’s.  Except that it is.  It’s because I use Kerrygold aged cheddar blended with sharp cheddar.  A squeeze of Duke’s mayo (the only self-respecting mayonnaise in the world! Trust.), plus one of those tiny jars of pimientos makes this pimento cheese better than your Momma’s.  Sorry.

Also, I present to you the pinnacle of fried foods:  CORNMEAL FRIED PICKLES.

Pimiento Cheese and Fried Pickle Sandwich | dessertfortwo.com

If crispy, salty juicy pickles aren’t your thing, leave ‘em off.  This hot pimento cheese is good enough to stand on its own.

Pimiento Cheese and Fried Pickle Sandwich | dessertfortwo.com

When this sandwich hits the hot pan, OH BABY.

Pimiento Grilled Cheese + Fried Pickle Sandwich | dessertfortwo.com

If you’d like to listen to the Fruit Bats song while chowing down (which I highly recommend dedicating a love song to your sandwich while eating), here’s a link.

Pimento Grilled Cheese + Fried Pickles

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Yield: 2 sandwiches
Serves: 2
For the fried pickles:
  • 12 dill pickle slices
  • ¼ cup cornmeal
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons buttermilk
  • 1½ cups neutral oil (I use canola)
For the pimiento cheese:
  • ½ cup Duke's mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons diced jarred pimientos
  • ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ teaspoon grated fresh onion
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup Kerrygold aged cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 4 slices thick bread
  • 1 tablespoon Kerrygold butter, for grilling
  1. First, fry the pickles: heat the oil in a small but deep pot or a skillet. Clamp a thermometer to the pan, and let the oil heat to 375.
  2. Meanwhile, dry off the pickles very well with paper towels.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and black pepper. In another small bowl, add the buttermilk.
  4. When the oil has reached 375, bread the pickles by dipping them in the buttermilk, then the cornmeal mixture. Fry 4 at a time, removing them from the oil when the are golden brown and crispy, about 90 seconds.
  5. Let the fried pickles drain on a paper towel.
  6. Make the pimiento cheese: combine all ingredients (except the bread and butter) and stir well.
  7. Melt the butter over medium heat in a skillet large enough to fit all of the bread slices. Toast the bread on one side, flip, and divide the pimiento cheese mixture between two slices. Stack the extra bread slices on top of the pimiento cheese, and flip and grill until both sides are golden brown.
  8. Serve pimiento grilled cheese stacked high with fried pickles.

Comments

1. lisatberry says

I adore pimiento cheese ..I can’t imagine how good it would be grilled and with those pickles….yum!!!

Well, you know that I love this. And, of course, I had to check it out to see what you put in it, and it’s all good. Well, only my little loves can’t handle the onion part and dill pickles very good, but other than that we are there. Actually, Jerry suggested grilled pimento cheese sandwiches for Mother’s Day. Does he know how to treat me right, or what? (Besides the fact that I will have to make them, I’m ok with this). Enjoy your weekend with my girl and her guy! I’ll be looking forward to hearing all about it. Better be instagram pics, that’s all I’m saying.

Me, too! I thought about making Stephie facetime me from your house for mother’s day, so I could see both of you, but then thought that might be weird. But, then and again, no one EVER said I was normal. ;)

3. Carrie N says

We can’t get Duke’s here and it’s a travesty i tell you! I will make the sandwich anyway and hope for the best.

Fried pickles have got to be one of the best foods on the planet IMO :) I have yet to do the homemade pimento but you’re definitely inspiring me to try it, alongside some home-fried pickles!

5. Emily b says

This sandwich reminds me of all that is right in the world. It’s so perfectly Southern and I adore every.single.thing. about it!!!

Oh my God. I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE. Pimento cheese is one of my favorite things on this Earth — and grilled, and with fried pickles? Beyond words.

7. Stacey says

This has been haunting my dreams ever since I saw it on your Instagram. I’m pretty sure St. Pete hands out grilled pimento cheese sammiches at the Pearly Gates. I can’t believe I never thought to add FRIED PICKLES. Best idea ever.

It’s only 10am and my stomach is suddenly grumbling because these sandwiches look so amazing and I need one right now!! YUM!!

First of all, I thought those were fried green tomatoes when I saw them on IG and I was so excited. Now? My mind is blown. You, my friend, are awesome.

Second, my pimento cheese is so much…gooier than yours. Yours looks like actual cheese and I must try it immediately. I kind of trust you when it comes to Southern stuff, you know.

Now I want to try your pimiento cheese! My photos just show the cheese before I stirred it together too much, because I wanted the texture. Before grilling, I stirred it together more, and yeah, it does kinda blend together and get creamy. But yeah, you should totes trust me on Southern stuff. You’re an honorary Southerner in my book, remember? ;)

I first tried pimiento cheese in Austin at Frank’s, the hot dog place. It was on a hot dog and I instantly fell head over heels. It’s not super popular in CA which is kind of criminal, because it’s FREAKING AMAZING. And fried pickles? Is it possible to marry a sandwich, because I am on one knee right now.

OMG, I NEED this sandwich in my life! I am in love with fried pickles, and love the idea of adding them to grilled cheese!!