Sangria Swirled Frozen Margaritas

Sangria Swirl Margaritas | dessertfortwo.com

Happy Cinco de Drinko!  Err, Cinco de Mayo.

I’m not allowed to make margaritas for my family any more.  Apparently, all you have to do to get taken off margarita duty is get grandma drunk one time.  Once!

It’s a damn shame, too, because I happen to make the best frozen margaritas.  In college, I could keep a tiny apartment packed full of people slurping frozen margs on hot summer nights.  Just give me a blender and a bottle of tequila, and I’m your bartender.  Thank God we don’t drink the cheap tequila anymore, though.  The stuff in the plastic jug was brutal back then.

So, back to drunk grandma.  The reason things got a little sloppy is because of a simple mistake:  I left out the cup of ice from the recipe.  Don’t do that!  Don’t be like me.

Sangria Swirl Margaritas | dessertfortwo.com

It’s been a while since I’ve had the courage to make my famous frozen margaritas again.  I’m so glad I could whip them up for this happiest of holidays:  Cinco de Drinko! I mean, Mayo.  Drinko de Mayo.  No, it’s Cinco de Mayo.  I’m almost positive.

You’re going to love this frozen margarita recipe.  It couldn’t be easier!  I swiped the recipe from my Godparents years ago, and I haven’t been tempted to try another recipe.  It’s THAT good.

Are you ready for the recipe?  Ok, here goes…

You know those cans of frozen limeade concentrate?  Yeah.  Grab one.  After you empty it into the blender, fill up the empty can half way with tequila.  Fill up the rest of the can with triple sec.  THEN FILL UP THE CAN WITH ICE.  I swear, don’t forget the ice.  Blend, blend, blend.  Rim a glass with salt, and pour.

So, for these fancy pants sangria swirl frozen margaritas, I sacrified 1 cup of fruity red wine to make wine ice cubes.  It’s totally optional. But, wait, when in life are pink drinks optional?  Never.  Good answer.

Sangria-Swirled-Frozen-Margaritas | dessertfortwo.com

Enjoy, y’all!  Have a safe and happy Cinco de Mayo!

Sangria Swirled Frozen Margaritas

Prep time
Total time

makes 2 drinks
Serves: 2
For the sangria swirl:
  • 1 cup red wine, frozen in ice cube tray
  • 2 tablespoons triple sec (orange liquor)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • juice of half an orange
For the regular frozen margarita:
  • 6 ounces frozen limeade concentrate
  • 2 shots tequila
  • 1 shot triple sec
  • 1 cup ice
  1. First, dip two margarita glasses in water or lime juice, and rim the edges with salt or sugar (your choice).
  2. Next, puree the frozen red wine cubes with the triple sec, lime juice, and orange juice. Pour into a small glass and have ready on the side.
  3. Add the limeade concentrate (not defrosted), tequila, triple sec and ice to a blender. Puree until slushy.
  4. Divide the margarita mixture between two glasses, and swirl in the sangria mixture.
Notes
*It would be super easy to double this recipe and use a whole can of frozen limeade concentrate and make 4 drinks. Party!

Comments

These sound so good! And seriously, I cannot get over the color. You are absolutely right — pink drinks are never optional. Also, I never would have thought to use lemonade concentrate to make a frozen drink, but it is SO FREAKING SMART. I mean, this is all-caps smart, not just regular smart. That’s saying something.

It is brutally hot here and this is exactly what I need. The colors are absolutely beautiful and while my grandma is no longer alive, I’m thinking I’ll serve my mom a couple of these. Thanks!

3. m says

I wasn’t going to comment on this post initially, but I have to say I’m pretty horrified to see a national holiday as important as Cinco de Mayo reduced to “Cinco de Drinko,” not once, but three times in such a short post. Cinco de Mayo, which is also known as El Día de la Batalla de Puebla, celebrates the defeat of the French at the hands of Mexican forces at the 1862 Battle of Puebla. Calling this national holiday “Cinco de Drinko” reenforces the negative stereotype that Mexicans and Mexican-American citizens are alcoholics, or drunks. Please don’t bastardize and denigrate other cultures just to promote a frozen cocktail!

• stacey says

Here in South Texas, we’re taught the significance of Cinco de Mayo and why it was originally celebrated. I have many friends from Mexico who maintain that it is a pretty minor holiday there (like the equivalent of our Flag Day), and a very Americanized one at that. We use it as an excuse to drink (more) margaritas and eat (more) Tex-Mex. We are grateful for our rich Mexican heritage! There are plenty of people all over the US who are using today as an excuse to drink cheap booze and eat terrible Mexican food, who likely have no idea why today is even a holiday. They’d probably tell you it’s Mexican Independence Day, and they’d be wrong (Sept 16!). I didn’t at all feel like Christina “bastardized” Hispanic culture by making a joke about Cinco de Drinko in her light-hearted post about Cinco de Mayo, especially since most people just use today as an excuse to drink. Have a nice day!

• jane says

Callate estupido! People like you with this holier-than-thou attitude are the reason I drink :P

Confession: I’ve never had a margarita…….is it time?!? The color combo in your photos in unreal pretty.

But I’m from Buffalo, NY and I’ve never had a chicken wing either (true fact) so maybe I need to live a little more =)

Stunning photos.

5. Frances says

Yes! The secret to good margaritas is the frozen limeade concentrate. It’s so hard to find anymore though.

Is it?! Oh no! I found mine in the frozen juice section, and while I was there, I noticed that Bicardi even makes a version specifically designed for drinks. Best of luck finding it! :)

I grew up in Southern California where any and all Mexican holidays were celebrated with amazing food and drinks. Cinco De Mayo was HUGE for everyone, restaurants and bars would offer margaritas on discount, all sorts of amazing food. My town even celebrates Fiesta for a week in August with street vendors selling food, music, dancing etc. Its a blast!! But of course holidays like Cinco De Mayo has become more Americanized – like ALL OTHER holidays ( hello St Patricks day) but who cares? Food and drink is what brings people together and if there are silly nicknames for holidays so be it. I would drink this margarita for any day or holiday. And I call it Drinko De Mayo.

Ahh good old cheap tequila, nothing feels worse the next day. These frozen margs however looks so delicious and refreshing! I love frozen drinks and can see myself having several of these (I better splurge and get the Patron)!

I request these next weekend. I’m a lightweight and they will totally knock me on my ass, but it will be worth it. I’m 126% sure.

Oh my gosh, drunk grandma, that must have made for an interesting evening! These guys look amazing…I love putting limeade concentrate in frozen drinks, it’s magic, isn’t it? Never thought of red wine ice cubes, definitely a fun idea :)

10. Rae Faiman says

I needed this. I’ll be making these for tonight and for my birthday on Hangover de Mayo tomorrow for sure. No such thing as excess. :)

11. stacey says

I’m a total snob about my margaritas on the rocks, but frozen? There’s no better way to make a god frozen margarita than with the canned limeade concentrate! Our family makes ours the same way! I feel totally validated now :) These are so gorgeous.

I haven’t met a frozen marg I’ve liked… until now. A frozen marg made by you will OBVIOUSLY be delicious. But a frozen marg made by you AND swirled with sangria? My god.

My inner grandma needs to get crunk on these margs.