Coconut Snow

Coconut Shaved Ice @dessertfortwo

So maybe I just poured a can of (full fat) coconut milk in a dish, froze it, and scraped it at intervals.  Maybe that’s hardly a recipe.  But maybe it’s so dang good, I don’t even care.  Definitely not maybe.  Definitely a yes.

I’m vowing to always have this in the freezer all summer long.  It couldn’t be easier to make:  a can of coconut milk, your sweetener of choice, and maybe a squeeze of lime, if you like.  Ever since my wine slushies, I’ve been employing the granita scrape-and-freeze method for all of my frozen treats.  Ice cream makers are nice, yes, but maybe you don’t have one?  You can still have frozen treats with this method.  Just be sure to set a timer to ensure you scrape it every 30 minutes, ok?  If you miss just one scraping, you’ll have a coconut icicle.  Delicious, but not what we’re going for.

Let’s talk toppings.  Truth be told:  lime and coconut is my favorite flavor combination, so I usually squeeze half a lime on top.  When I get half-way through the cup, I squeeze on the other half.  I’m a citrus lover if there ever was one.  When I want to get fancy, an orange simple syrup (simple syrup boiled with 2-3 strips of orange peel) is just the thing.  However, I feel like you may prefer chocolate or caramel.  How do I know you so well?  It’s a gift, I tell ya.

Coconut Granita @dessertfortwo

If chocolate is your topping of choice, can I recommend layering the two together?  A few spoonfuls of coconut snow, a drizzle of chocolate, and so on.  Also, it would be best if you used cold chocolate sauce, not warm.

Easy Coconut Shaved Ice @dessertfortwo

This is the part where I confess my sins:  I used full-fat coconut milk for this recipe.  Errr, I used the can from Trader Joe’s that says Coconut Cream ‘extra thick and rich.’  I just couldn’t help myself.  Ever since Tracy pointed out that their coconut cream makes the best coconut whipped cream, I’ve been hoarding it.  Somebody please tell me coconut counts as one of the ‘good fats’ we should have in our diet.  Anyone?

If you make this recipe, can we work together to decide if we should call it coconut snow, coconut shaved ice, or coconut granita?  This is keeping me up at night.

I just realized this is essentially vegan ice cream.  Like, just now.

Coconut Granita

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

yields: 2 glasses
Serves: 2
  • 1 14-oz. can full-fat coconut milk
  • ¼ cup sugar (or honey)
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 lime (optional)
  • chocolate sauce for serving (optional but not)
  1. In a shallow dish (such as a 9" pie plate), pour the coconut milk.
  2. In a small microwave-safe dish, combine the sugar and water. Microwave until the water simmers and you can stir to dissolve the sugar. Let cool slightly, then add to the coconut milk. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime (optional).
  3. Place the dish in the freezer, and scrape every 30 minutes for 2 hours. Serve with chocolate sauce.

Comments

Coconut snow!!! Coconut Snow!!!! That sounds just right! ’cause this beauty looks EXACTLY like snow! :D LOVEEEEE IT! Coconuts are supposed to have healthy fats! So I’m going to have loads of this with every possible topping I can lay my hands on!!!! :D

You must be my half sister (younger of course by 10 years, yah yah yah) because lime & coconut is my fav as well. Yum.

But the chocolate drizzled on your countertop…..I’d be sticking my fingers in it, or if no one was around just lick it off! I mean, how can I help myself?

This looks like the most refreshing drink ever….and how easy? yay!!

3. SHanna @ Pineapple and Coconut says

I love this as much as your wine slushies. I am totally making this and adding coconut rum. Because, yum. ha ha

4. SHanna @ Pineapple and Coconut says

5. carol says

Yes! Coconut is a very healthy fat that can actually help you lose weight. No kidding. Also for energy! What more can you ask for????

Oh, a lime & coconut lover + a citrus fan! Hi, I’m Valerie; I think we’d get along famously. :D
    This is brill!! I just discovered the deity that is sweet milk-infused iced coffee – this coconut snow might become my new obsession. Thank you!!

YOU ARE A GENIUS OH WOW
    Coconut snow sounds like the best thing that ever happened.
    Especially when chocolate sauce is involved.
    I’m so drooling right now ahhhhhhh.
    I hope you’re having a great weekend!

8. April Hester says

This coconut snow is amazing! The lime on top is so refreshing! I made this last night and I’m in tropical heaven. I am going to stock up on coconut milk so this is always an option. Thank you for the share. You are my new bff!

9. Melissa B says

Think you could use light coconut milk? It’s what I have in the pantry at the moment. Also wondering if a pineapple simple syrup would work.

10. Hannah says

Even though coconut fat is good for you, having full fat, especially a whole can, should be portion controlled!!!!
    And try not to have this a lot!!!