It’s time to sound the fire alarms, and not just because that’s what happens every time I use a grill pan indoors. The lovely Jessica from How Sweet Eats is going to have a baby soon, and we’re celebrating on the internet today, because that’s what we do. We are her invisible internet friends. Hooray! Party hats for all the invisibles!
Jessica is one of the most inspiring bloggers out there. I met Jessica a few years ago when I was having a quarter life crisis. I dumped my boyfriend on my birthday, and drove to Sonoma to have a glass of wine with her that night. I rambled all about ME ME ME the entire night because I was 25…what else is there when you’re 25? But Jessica was uplifting, inspiring, and gave me great advice that night. Without her, I wouldn’t have known to get an agent before writing a book, to not settle for less than I’m worth no matter what my blog traffic says, and to work so dang hard on anything I put my name on. She tells me to knock it out of the park, and I try to live up to her standards daily.
Jessica, I love you. I’d be nowhere without your advice and inspiration. You’re my spirit animal. Marry me?
Jess, we are all so happy for you, and we wish you all the best for the new bebe!
Let’s have a collective pause to reflect on how well-fed this baby will be. I want to pay Jessica to cook for me every day, and this baby gets it! Lucky duck!
Jessica makes fabulous burgers. I wanted to make her a trashed up burger to stuff her face with in between late-night baby feeding sessions. And then I perfected sweet potato fries for her, because it’s my love language. Baked fries are for the birds. These babes are all for you, Jess. Crisper sweet potato fries can not be found in all the lands. These are the crispiest. Also: the BEST. Seriously, c-r-i-s-p-y. If you make them and follow the directions, you will send me love letters about how you and crispy make-at-home fries have been reunited forever. And then you’ll tell me all about how you eat them all day long, and then things get a little weird cuz I’m going to worry about your arteries with all the French fry eating, and so I’ll reply with a ‘worried about you/ thinking about you e-card.’ BUT: bleu cheese dip!
We love you TONS, Jess!
Here’s to you, gorgeous Mama-to-be! XO
15 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- For the burgers:
- 3/4 pound ground beef (at least 15% fat)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 buns
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 pound thin sweet potatoes (works best for fry-shapes)
- 4 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- salt to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, paprika and salt. Mix together with your hands, and then divide in half. Shape into two patties, pressing down a small indention in the middle to prevent puffiness during cooking.
- In a small non-stick skillet, add the thinnest coat of oil for cooking the burgers. Cook the burgers for about 10 minutes each side, on medium-high heat. Once you flip the burgers once, it's helpful to cover the skillet with vented foil to help it cook all the way through without burning the outside.
- Let the patties rest.
- Meanwhile, combine the bleu cheese, mayo and sour cream. Mix well.
- Slice the buns and lettuce, and build your burger.
- Now, make the fries! Slice the (unpeeled) sweet potatoes into French fry shapes (about 1/4" wide and 4-5" long). Heat the oil in a 2-quart skillet over high heat until it reaches 375.
- In a small bowl, add the cornstarch. Slowly whisk in the sparkling water, scraping the bottom as you go. Dunk all of the sweet potato fries in this mixture, and let them drain on a rack.
- Drop handfuls of the sweet potatoes in the oil at a time, and stir with a fork to break up any clumps every so often. Fry them until they begin to brown on the outside, and when stirring, you can tell they're firm, not limp. It should take 10-12 minutes per batch. Don't be afraid to turn up the heat to keep the oil up to temperature.
- Drain each batch of sweet potatoes on a paper towel-lined plate, and sprinkle with salt immediately. Welcome to the crispiest French fries in the world. Serve with the burger.
Ok, stop crying now, Jess. Seriously. It’s just the hormones. You deserve all the love in the world and 20 more sweet babies if you want ’em :)
Check out what all the other bloggers made for the sweetest/ trashiest baby shower for the sweetest/ classiest lady ever:
trashed up salads
- Gimme Some Oven – Asian Broccoli Salad with Peanut Sauce
- The Lemon Bowl – Brussels Slaw with Tahini Dressing and Za’atar Crostini
- With Style & Grace – Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon
trashed up cocktails
- Dine & Dish – Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
- Food For My Family – Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Minimalist Baker – Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshakes
- Stylish, Stealthy & (sometimes) Healthy – Apple Cider Shandy
- A Spicy Perspective – Preggy Punch Mocktail
- Girl vs. Dough – Boozy Maple Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Honestly Yum – Maple Bacon Pisco Sour
- Cookin Canuck – Pink Grapefruit Margaritas
- A Thought For Food – Mezcal Citrico Cocktail
- A House in the Hills – Pomegranate Rosemary Spritzer
- The Novice Chef – Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider
- Bran Appetit – Citrus Cider Punch Floats
trashed up burgers
- Edible Perspective – Meatloaf Veggie Burgers with Mashed Potatoes + Gravy
- The Little Kitchen – Salmon BLT Sliders with an Avocado Aioli & Brie
- Daisy At Home – Balsamic Beef Burger with Mac and Cheese
- Cookies & Cups – Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
- Climbing Grier Mountain – Trashed-Up Steak Burger with Chicken Fried Bacon & Dijon Gravy
- Country Clever – Fig Rosemary Roast Chicken Brie Brussels Sprout Panini
- Foodie Crush – The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Lady and Pups – Spicy Sambal Chicken Meatball Sub with Eggs
- Two Peas & Their Pod – Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Bake Your Day – Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
trashed up tacos
- Spoon Fork Bacon – Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- The Fauxmartha – Boozy Beef and Butternut Tacos
- With Food + Love – Harvest Hash Breakfast Tacos
- Mountain Mama Cooks – Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos with Bacon
- Heather Christo – Bahn Mi Tacos with Spicy Sriracha Honey Sauce
- A Couple Cooks – Loaded Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Fitnessista – San Diego Lobster Street Tacos
trashed up desserts
- Table for Two – Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
- My Name is Yeh – Mini Vanilla Loaf Cakes, All Trashed Up
- Picky Palate – Pumpkin Spice Butterscotch Sprinkle Cupcakes
- Sprinkle Bakes – Cake Batter Confetti Cupcakes
- Averie Cooks – Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Sweet Phi – Trashed Up Shortbread Cookie Bars
- Love & Olive Oil – Loaded Junk Food Brownies
- Lauren’s Latest – Bakery Sugar Cookies
- Cookie + Kate – Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourishing Foodie – Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- The Sugar Hit – Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake
- Hummingbird High – Breakfast Cereal Cake Donuts
- Top With Cinnamon – Triple Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Crumb Cake
- Bake at 350 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sundaes
- Simple Bites – Lemon Layer Cake
- Bakerella – Baby Block Cake Pops
- She Wears Many Hats – Chocolate Covered Grapefruit
trashed up pizza
- Bev Cooks – Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
- Rachel Cooks – Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust
- Foodie With Family – Trashed Up Barbecue Turkey Pizza
- Shutterbean – Pesto Potato Bacon Pizza
- i am a food blog – Grilled Cheese Pizza
- My Life as a Mrs – Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
- Simply Scratch – Steak + Blue Cheese Pizza with Crispy Fried Shallots and Honey Balsamic Drizzle
- The Beeroness – Beer Cheese Tater Tot Pizza
- Yes I Want Cake – Roasted Pumpkin Pizza
- Two Red Bowls – Bacon Mashed Potato Pizza
- Dula Notes – Pork Bahn Mi Pizza
- Weelicious – Trashed Up Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Take a Megabite – Roasted Beet Pizza
- Hungry Girl Por Vida – Hard Cider Braised Pork with Sour Cherries and Cheesy Polenta