I recently relinquished a bit of control in the kitchen. I handed over the reins to Mr. Dessert For Two to make homemade ice cream. I gave him a copy of the best ice cream cookbook in the world and lugged the ice cream maker up from the basement.
You see, I live with the ice cream monster. Some of you live with cookie monsters, chocolate fiends, or worse. I personally share a pot of coffee with the ice cream monster. Sometimes, he even eats it with his coffee! (I freely admit this here so that his Mama can scold him for not eating a balanced breakfast).
I figure if he’s going to be in the kitchen churning ice cream, the place I want to be is right beside him. I might as well bake some cookies to go alongside, or to smash ice cream between.
Sundays, from now on, are meant for making ice cream. I make the cookies, he makes the ice cream, and then we enjoy ice cream sandwiches. Life is good.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar (divided use)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a medium bowl, beat together with an electric mixer the butter, cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Beat until well-mixed and fluffy, about 1 minute. Next, beat in the egg.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Sprinkle this mixture over the butter and sugar mixture and beat until just combined.
- In a shallow bowl, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the dough, roll it in your palm lightly, then roll it in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Space the dough balls evenly on the baking sheet, then bake for 9-12 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet 1 minute, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 54Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g