By far, one of the most popular recipes on this site is my perfect blondies. Coming in a very close second is perfect brownies. Both of these recipes are made in a bread loaf pan to make just two servings. Not that I couldn’t answer a craving for brownies by eating an entire 9×13″ pan, but I know I shouldn’t. Two large squares of dense buttery sweetness is just the thing.
I had a 5-gallon bucket of apples in the basement for a few weeks before the idea of an apple blondie came to me. It seems, in the midWest, that apples in the fall are like zucchinis in the summer: everyone’s got ’em and everyone’s looking for a person to dump ’em on. I gladly accepted. So far, I made caramel apple cookie cups, several batches of apple butter (in the crock pot!), and these brownies.
File these under the tab ‘desserts with fruit that Mr. Dessert For Two actually likes.’
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 small apple, peeled and finely diced
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a 9" bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Be careful not to burn it.
- Next, stir in the sugars, egg, and vanilla into the melted butter.
- Add the dry ingredients: cinnamon, salt and flour.
- Finally, stir in the apple bits. Spread the batter in the loaf pan and top with the toffee bits.
- Bake for 28-34 minutes, or until the edges of the blondie start to pull away from the pan and the center is done.
- Let cool in the pan 5 minutes, then lift the blondies out of the pan with the parchment paper, slice and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 38gProtein: 4g