Banana bread that uses just one banana. Small banana bread recipe made in a mini loaf pan.
I absolutely love to take your requests.
When someone requested a mini banana bread made in a mini loaf pan last week, I got to work immediately!
So glad to know that I’m not the only one that stares at the last banana on the counter, wondering what to make with it. This mini banana bread recipe uses just one banana! One lonely banana that is gathering black spots by the day. The more black spots, the better, if you ask me!
I bake this small banana bread in a mini loaf pan, and I get about 6 small slices. It’s breakfast for two, or breakfast for two days, if you’re like me and live alone. I love this mini loaf pan set, because if you want to triple the recipe, you totally can.
I scaled this recipe down from my Mom’s big batch recipe, which uses almost melted butter, wheat germ and chopped pecans. Personally, I’m leery of banana bread recipes that don’t use butter. Oil is great for moisture, but butter is better for flavor. Plus, the mashed bananas bring all of the moisture we need.
Never make another loaf of banana bread again without using butter, promise me, ok?
Another thing that this recipe has that many lack is honey! My mom swears by honey in her banana bread recipe. She still uses regular sugar, too, but the honey brings a floral sweetness to this bread that I love! Plus, honey brings moisture to the batter!
I like my sweet breads to have a few chopped nuts, so I reached for pecans, but please use your favorite nut!
This recipe uses just an egg yolk; I have a whole page of recipes to use up leftover egg whites.
I hope you love this recipe! Leave any more requests below!
- 1 small (6-7”) over-ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature/ very soft (plus extra for pan)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 5 3/4” x 3” x 2” mini loaf pan with butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana into a puree using a fork. Next, add the butter, sugar, and honey to it and stir well. Stir in the egg yolk well before sprinkling in the flour, wheat germ, baking soda and salt. Stir in the pecans, if using. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pan slightly before moving it to a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g