Breakfast tacos are a decidedly Texan way to start the day. My Mom makes the best potato, bacon and egg breakfast tacos with roasted tomato salsa on the side for dipping. As I was devouring her spicy tacos the other morning before catching my flight home, I started to think about how delicious a sweet breakfast taco would be. The banana Nutella taco was born. It was pretty tasty on its own, but I decided to roll it up into a burrito and deep fry it. Deep fried burritos, also known as chimichangas, are a Tex-Mex creation that are typically filled with savory ingredients. These sweet and crispy chimichangas are great for breakfast, but just remember to wipe the Nutella off your chin before heading out for the day.
- 4 cups canola oil
- 2 medium flour tortillas (taco size, about 8")
- 1 small banana
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- handful of chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- In a 9" cast iron skillet, heat the canola oil to 350°.
- While the oil is heating, warm the tortillas in the microwave or oven.
- Dice the banana and mix it with the cinnamon, cayenne pepper and hazelnuts. Once the oil has reached the right temperature, spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of Nutella in the center, in about a 4" x 3" rectangle.
- Add the spiced banana mixture in a small clump on top of the Nutella, almost in the center of the tortilla but more towards one side than the other.
- Take the side of the tortilla with the bananas closer to the edge and begin rolling up the tortilla, tucking in the sides as you go so that all ingredients are completely enclosed. Secure with 2 or 3 toothpicks.
- Drop them carefully into the hot oil and fry for about 1 minute on each side. Keep in mind that because you are using a cast iron skillet to fry, the side of the tortilla touching the pan will brown quickly. Once the chimichangas are golden brown and crispy, remove them from the oil and let them drain on a paper towel before eating.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 8g