This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans. Thanks for letting me partner with brands I love and use in my kitchen!
I think I’ve figured out another way to get an easy dinner on the table!
You know on the weekends when your husband looks at the sky, does one of those bear stretches and puts his hands on his hips to proclaim he ‘feels like grilling?’ Next time he does that, girls, raid your freezer and pantry for extra things for him to cook! Give him plenty or space to grill his steaks, corn on the cob, kebabs and whatever else he has his heart set on. But the back corner of the grill?–it’s up for grabs and it’s all yours. It has meal prep for the week written alllllll over it.
In that unused grill space, I want you to throw on some marinated chicken. When the charcoal briquettes are perfectly ashy and he’s just about ready to wrap up the grill session, I want you to wrap some potatoes in foil and bury them in the coals. We’re going to use the chicken and smoky grilled potatoes to pull together another meal for later in the week!
As for marinating the chicken, that’s going to be super simple, too. We’re going to grab a can of Bush’s Grillin’ beans from the pantry. Grab your favorite flavor; mine is Southern Pit Barbecue (I mean, really, you probably already knew that!), and crack open the can. Use a strainer and carefully pour off about 1/2 cup of the bean liquid. That’s your marinade for the chicken. SO simple, right? Toss the chicken to coat, and let it rest in the fridge while the husband gets the grill nice and hot for you–I mean, for his steaks. This is all about his steaks…
Just in case your husband starts to catch onto you that he’s being put to work to help you meal prep for the rest of the week, have a 6-pack of cold beers handy. Anytime he raises an eyebrow over the other food on the grill, just place another beer in his hand. If he gets really suspicious, offer to open the beer and smile sweetly at him and tell him how much you can’t wait to eat one of his expertly cooked steaks. It works, trust me.
And then get back in the kitchen–we’ve got work to do!
While the chicken is grilling, warm the beans on the stove and grate the sharp cheddar cheese. Pack all these things away, along with the grilled chicken and potatoes when they come off the grill.
Then, when you need to get dinner on the table lightning fast, reach for the beans, cheese, chicken and potatoes from the fridge. Slice open the potatoes, add generous scoops of the beans, top with grilled chicken and cheese, and warm in the oven until heated through. And suddenly, dinner is served! And your husband cooked it all!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can Bush's Grillin' beans (Southern Pit Barbecue recommended)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
- 4 medium-sized russet potatoes
- First, add the chicken to a small bowl.
- Open the can of beans, and pour off 1/2 cup of the liquid. Add the liquid to the chicken, toss to coat, and place in the fridge to marinate for about 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, grate the cheese and have it ready.
- Prick the potatoes all over with a fork, and wrap in foil. Toss near the coals and cook until soft--about 45 minutes or so.
- Grill the chicken until done. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Warm the rest of the beans on the stove.
- To serve, slice open the potatoes, add generous scoops of beans, top with sliced chicken, grated cheese, and serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 2075.04 Total Fat: 156.8g Carbohydrates: 5.92g Protein: 160.64g