Chocolate bread pudding with caramel Rolos. The best 5-ingredient chocolate caramel bread pudding for two!
We are gathered here today to talk about how it only takes 5 ingredients to have a fantastic dessert.
And no one knows this better than my friend Phi who just wrote a cookbook called Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes: A cookbook for Busy People.
Her book is absolutely incredible, and I want to make just about everything in it. I skipped to the dessert section first (duh), and when I saw this gem of a recipe, I knew I had to make it. She calls it Chocolate Bread Pudding, or Rolo Bread Pudding. I call it delicious.
The thing is, Phi is a woman after my own heart. Her recipe makes just 1 ramekin, and it’s up to you to scale it up however you like. I am obsessed with this (to put it lightly).
Can you double this chocolate bread pudding recipe?
Yes, of course, I doubled the chocolate bread pudding recipe to serve two (it’s kinda my thing…did you know that?), but I could also see myself making it for myself when no one is around. Or, for 8 people the next time I have a dinner party. There is no one who doesn’t like chocolate caramel bread pudding. No one!
Our five ingredients today are: Rolos (buy the big bag because it’s basically an unwrap one:eat six ratio situation), white bread, eggs, milk, and sugar. Easy, right?
I have to admit, I don’t normally keep white bread on hand. So, I bought a loaf specifically for this recipe. I keep the rest of the loaf wrapped in the freezer, just waiting for the next emergency chocolate bread pudding craving. And I will probably do this until the end of time now that I know how easy it is to make small batches of bread pudding! (Psst! Have you seen my mini bread puddings in a muffin pan recipe?)
Phi’s cookbook officially comes out July 19th, but you can pre-order it on Amazon today. As an author, I can tell you that pre-orders are super important and very helpful for authors. Pre-orders help spread the word that a book is in high demand, and help it garner media attention. So, if you see a book that you like but it isn’t out yet, go ahead and pre-order it! You’ll get a nice surprise in the mail when it does come out, and you’ll also be helping the author out. Ok?
In the case of Phi’s book, go ahead and order at least 2–one for you and one for your Mom. Moms LOVE recipes that don’t have a ton of ingredients–trust me on that. (And yes, Mom, your copy is on its way next week!)
Yields 2 ramekins
8 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
38 minTotal Time
- 2 slices fresh white bread
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for topping
- 10 Rolo chocolate caramel candies, chopped, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray two ramekins with cooking spray, and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Cube the bread slices, and set aside
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and sugar, and then 8 of the chopped Rolos.
- Add the bread cubes and stir to coat.
- Divide the mixture between the two ramekins. Add the remaining chopped candy on top, plus a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake the ramekins on the baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- When you remove it from the oven, it will be puffy and deflate as it cools. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.