Cake mix waffles made with a chocolate cake mix. Just 1 1/4 cup dry chocolate cake mix makes 4 perfect chocolate waffles!
Hey, it’s hot outside. Or is that just you?
Don’t be silly, it’s me too. I’m hot, you’re hot. But we still need to eat cake! Caaaaaaake.
I do not take vacations from cake.
So, when it’s summertime and I need chocolate cake, I just cook it in the waffle iron. Genius, right?
Did you know you can scoop out a little chocolate cake mix from the box, whip up a quick batter and make four chocolate waffles in about 8 minutes? This is a good thing, because I have a 10 minute window before a chocolate craving must be met…or else!
How to make cake mix waffles:
To make dessert for two, we’re just going to use 1 1/4 cups of chocolate cake mix from the box. I add 1 egg and a little oil and water, plus some mini chocolate chips. The mini chocolate chips are optional–if you have them, add them! If not, you’re still going to get chocolate cake in the end!
When they come out of the waffle iron, they look like this:
They’re just begging for toppings! I went with ice cream and a blackberry sauce this time. On a day with a more serious chocolate craving, I went with chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup and chocolate sprinkles.
Did you know that this isn’t the first time I’ve used part of a cake mix to make dessert for two? I did a whole series called ‘Cake Mix Chronicles’ a few years ago! I made you: cranberry cake, eggnog cookies, and chocolate petit fours. It was a good week! Oh, I also made these chocolate cupcakes with a cake mix. Don’t forget about these!
I feel like I should tell you–these chocolate cake mix waffles aren’t going to be crispy like your standard waffle. Their texture is cake-y, like you just cooked cake batter on a griddle (because ya did).
Now that you know how to get chocolate cake without using the oven, the topping combinations are up to you. Welcome to your new wild life, friends!
- 1 1/4 cup dry chocolate cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon neutral oil (like grapeseed)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- ice cream, for serving
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons crème de cassis (black currant liquor), optional
- Preheat a waffle iron to the highest setting.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cake mix, egg, oil, water and chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into waffle iron (i have a Belgium waffle iron that holds 1/2 cup batter per waffle; I made 4 waffles from this recipe).
- Cook the waffles until done.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, combine the blackberries with the sugar and a splash of water. Simmer until the blackberries collapse into a sauce, about 5 minutes. Stir in the crème de cassis, if using.
- Scoop ice cream over each waffle and top with blackberry sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 28gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g