So, I’m hanging at my parents house in Texas this week, in case you missed my dramatic annoucement on instagram. Long story short: my kid is sick for the first time, and when I walked in Urgent Care, the ‘first time Mom’ alarms went off. I thought for sure that in the battle of breastfeeding versus daycare, we would win. We definitely lost. A big loss—a double ear infection loss. I’m counting my blessings that her ears didn’t hurt her on the way here, because I don’t think I’d be good at the ‘woman with screaming child on airplane’ role. Anyway, I’m still terrified to fly home with her, so I’m just going to hang in the kitchen with my Mama and cook recipes for you, deal?
My Mama is always texting me photos of the recipes she makes from my first cookbook, and she makes the cast iron skillet brownie sundaes a lot. She bought a bag of those caramel bits and wanted to see if they’d be good in the brownies. I pulled out my camera and said I’m game!
So, we added caramel bits and nuts to the brownie recipe, but kept everything else the same. We also topped it with Blue Bell ice cream, because I am finally back in a state that sells it, and I’m pretty much vowing to never live without it ever again. Mark my words!
While my Mama made the recipe, Camille clung to my hip and screamed any time I tried to put her down (we’re working on that!), and then when sweet little babe was napping, my Mama turned into my photography assistant! So what I’m basically trying to say is I did nothing to bring this post to you–she did all the work. But I get to share it with you, so we all win.
Do you have a mini 6″ cast iron skillet? If so, you should use it for this brownie sundae because the edges of the brownie are chewy while the inside is warm and gooey. The screaming kid on your hip with a double ear infection part is totally optional.
- cooking spray for skillet
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons caramel bits (or chopped caramel candies)
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 325, and spray a 6" cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Dice the butter, and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the sugar and cocoa powder on top, and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Stop, stir, and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave, then add the salt and vanilla and stir very well to blend and cool the mixture slightly.
- Add the egg to the batter and stir vigorously.
- Sprinkle the flour on top and stir for 50 strokes to incorporate. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips, caramel bits, and nuts.
- Spread the batter in the cast iron skillet, and bake for 24-28 minutes on the middle rack in the oven.
- Let cool slightly, and top with ice cream and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 652.34 Total Fat: 54.1g Carbohydrates: 43.76g Protein: 6.68g