Sugar free carrot cake made with apple juice concentrate and pineapple, plus a honey cream cheese frosting.
Because sugar free week can’t be all cold and creamy ice cream, I made us miniature sugar free carrot cake bites!
They’re naturally sweetened, which, in my book, means: no funky sugars, chemicals, or trips to the health food store required—not that I dislike going to the health food store. Actually, I love love love it.
Some women shop for shoes, I shop for food. I’m in a constant struggle to keep a reasonable amount of food in my pantry versus buying one of everything that looks good. We are just two mouths here!
Well, three, but one member of the household does not eat people food…except for the smallest curlicue of carrot that fell from one of these cake bites. (This was immediately followed by the google search ‘my dog just ate ___’, at least the 165th time I’ve filled in that blank since getting a dog).
So, sugar free carrot cake. It’s a big deal in this house. It was one of the layers of our wedding cake. I make it a few times a year, and I always wrinkle my nose at how much sugar is required. I know sugar makes for a tender cake, but isn’t there a way to enjoy carrot cake for breakfast without a sugar spike? Yes ma’am! Or, sir. Sorry.
This cake is sweetened with apple juice concentrate. Read the label on the can—it should have only one ingredient…um, apples. Maaaaaybe some water, but never anything else. We’re only using 3 tablespoons for these mini carrot cakes. I’m dreaming up a dinner for two that includes apple-stuffed pork chops to use up the rest of the can. Stay tuned for that one, friends!
I hope you love this sugar free carrot cake recipe with honey cream cheese frosting!
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons finely minced pineapple (can drain it from a can)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon liquid coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons apple juice concentrate, defrosted
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350, and spray 8 wells in a mini muffin pan with cooking spray. You can also make 4 regular-sized muffins, just increase the cooking time by 3-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and sald.
- In another bowl, combine the rest of the carrot cake ingredients and stir very well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter between 8 mini muffin cups, or 4 regular muffin cups, and bake for 10 minutes. Check for moist crumbs clinging with a toothpick, and then remove from the oven.
- While cooling, beat together the cream cheese and honey until light and fluffy. Frost the cakes and serve.