I grew up on a steady diet of old black and white TV show re-runs. No, I’m not that old—I’m in my mid 20s. My mom and I used to watch episodes of I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show and Perry Mason nightly. I’d rather watch old re-runs than today’s TV shows. In fact, TV Land is celebrating the 50-year anniversary of The Andy Griffith Show by playing episodes all month long. I’m pleased as punch. So, how about a black and white brownie to celebrate my favorite black and white TV show?
- Oil for greasing pan
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon vanilla, divided use
- ¾ teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a mini muffin tin that holds 12 mini muffins with oil very well.
- In a medium bowl, add the butter and chopped chocolate. Melt in the microwave in 20 second pulses, stirring between each pulse. Once the chocolate is sufficiently melted into the butter, add 5 tablespoons of the sugar, ½ teaspoon of the vanilla and the instant espresso powder. Stir well, then set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add the egg to the chocolate mixture and whisk very well. Add the flour mixture and stir gently to combine. Divide the mixture into the mini muffin tin.
- Next, whisk together the creamy cheese, the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, heavy cream, and the last ¼ teaspoon of vanilla. Dollop a bit of the cream cheese mixture over each mini brownie bite. Using a toothpick, swirl the cheesecake mixture into the brownie batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin. Run a knife around the edges of each brownie bite, then carefully move the bites to a wire rack to allow them to cool.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g