I’m a little envious of everyone who will be making festive red, white, and blue desserts this weekend. I really wish I could get whipped cream all over my fingers while carefully arranging strawberries, blueberries and raspberries on a cake to resemble an American flag. My 4th of July dessert will not contain such cuteness.
I’ll tell ya why: Mr. Dessert For Two is a former Marine who served in Iraq in 2005. I’ve decided that he gets whatever kind of dessert he wants on holidays that have anything to do with military service or patriotism. And the truth is, fruit desserts aren’t his favorite. His favorite kind of dessert is one that is rich, indulgent and very sweet. Oh, bless his Southern heart.
When he sees a box of cream cheese in the fridge his mind immediately goes to cheesecake. I’m still on this don’t-turn-the-oven-on-til-fall bender, so the frozen cheesecake was born. Dip it in chocolate and graham cracker crumbs and it’s a winner. If you want to drop tiny chunks of strawberries, raspberries or blueberries in your cheesecake popsicles, go ahead. Can I also recommend a swirl of blueberry jam? Or, instead of dark chocolate, dip them in white chocolate blended with a little strawberry jam?
This weekend, I want y’all to thank any current and former military personnel that you know for their service. It is greatly appreciated and they never tire of hearing it. Let’s pause to remember it’s people like them that make America great.
I hope y’all have a great 4th of July!
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1-2 graham crackers, crushed
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Pour into your popsicle molds. Freeze overnight.
- When ready to serve, unmold the popsicles, dip in melted chocolate then graham cracker crumbs. Serve immediately, or place them back in the freezer for the chocolate to harden.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 567Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 329mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 43gProtein: 9g