If y’all still haven’t decided what to make for Valentine’s Day, this dessert is what you’ve been waiting for. Creamy, luscious chocolate underneath a crunchy caramelized sugar crust is probably the most romantic thing I’ve ever baked. And so easy, too! There’s only 4 ingredients here, so it’s really important for the chocolate that you use to be great quality. Your sweetheart is worth it, I promise.
- 1 1/4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for a water bath to cook the custards.
- In a double boiler over low heat, melt the chocolate. Or, melt in 20 second pulses in the microwave on low, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together by hand the egg yolks and sugar.
- Once well incorporated, add the heavy cream.
- Pour in the melted chocolate mixture. Divide the mixture between two 6-ounce ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a small baking dish and add the hot water until it comes up ½ way on the sides of ramekins. Move the baking dish carefully to the oven and bake about 40-44 minutes, until the custard is set. The middle will slightly jiggle, but the sides will be set. Let the custards cool in the water bath completely before removing them.
- Cover each ramekin with plastic wrap and chill at least 5 hours or until ready to serve (can be made up to 2 days in advance).
- Before serving, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar over each and brulee with a kitchen torch until the sugar caramelizes and hardens. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 344mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g