Chocolate rice krispies treats for two.
I don’t often admit my shameful eating preferences, so lean in and listen up. I love Star Crunches. You know what I’m talking about—the round chocolatey crispy things laced with caramel made by that little bitch named Debbie?
Debbie ruins swimsuit season for me every year. I will get her back one day, if it’s the last thing I do.
When I was growing up, my house had a serious lack of junk food. I’m happy that my Mama refrained from it for the most part, but I think we all know what happens when you raise a kid without sugar…she goes on to write 3 cookbooks all about desserts.
I’m positive there’s a correlation.
Chocolate rice krispies treats:
Anyway, I should really apologize to you for making these chocolate rice krispies treats. They taste just like a Star Crunch (and even more so if you drizzle them with caramel). I’m so shamelessly addicted to them, and worse: my husband is off sugar right now.
What I’m trying to say is, I ate the whole pan. In three days. I convinced myself that they wouldn’t freeze well, and therefore, the only logical thing to do was just keep eating them.
And yes, I first made this recipe in a bread loaf pan to make two servings (easy to do if you wanna, just cut the recipe in half), but after one taste, I was like ‘NOPE. GIMME A WHOLE PAN.’
I’m the literal worst around homemade junk food.
So, make these as they are written, top with sea salt and dig in. Or, drizzle with caramel (and then sheepishly sprinkle with sea salt because you’re a lush and you should be ashamed of yourself. And then please call me and confess so I can feel better about my own eating habits. Thanks).
Love you. Bye!
I also have strawberry rice krispies treats, which would be such a great partner to these chocolate ones!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10.5 ounce bag of mini marshmallows (5 1/2 cups worth)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- heaping 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Line a 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper or foil (or spray it very well with cooking spray).
- In a large pot, add the butter, marshmallows and cocoa powder. Turn the heat to medium high, and melt while stirring continuously. The mixture should become one sticky, gooey mess. Delicious!
- Stir in the chocolate chips until melted.
- Add the rice krispies cereal to the pot one cup at a time, and then stir, stir, stir. It'll be sticky and messy. You're doing it right!
- Press the warm gooey mixture into the baking dish, using buttered hands to flatten it evenly.
- Sprinkle the sea salt on top, and then let rest for 2 hours before cutting (yeah, right).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g