I officially declare it Valentine’s Day season! This is my favorite time of year! It was about this time a few years ago that I got the idea for small-scale desserts that would serve only two. To celebrate, I will be posting romantic desserts all the way up ‘til the big day. Is there anything special y’all would like to see here? I’m open to requests!
Let’s start with the ultimate chocolate cake. I make this fudgey cake with real chocolate instead of cocoa powder because I like the crumb it produces. The sour cream glaze is proof that chocolate and sour cream were made for each other.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- FOR THE SOUR CREAM GLAZE:
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon white corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Butter a 6” round cake pan, and fit a circle of parchment in the bottom—butter the parchment too.
- In a medium bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, melt the chocolate chips, canola oil and espresso powder. Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and stir to cool. (You can also do this in the microwave in short pulses, stirring frequently).
- Stir in the sugar, sour cream,vanilla and finally the egg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Pour this mixture over the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, then bake on a sheet pan for 35-40 minutes. Test the center of the cake with a toothpick before removing—moist crumbs should cling to the toothpick, but it should not be overly wet. Let cake cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream over a double boiler (or in the microwave). Once melted, stir in the vanilla, corn syrup and sour cream. Stir vigorously to make the glaze shiny. Pour over the cake and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g