Christmas wreath cupcakes with M&M decorations and edible gold leaf. A small batch of chocolate cupcakes becomes cute colorful wreaths. Also, the cupcakes are made without eggs!
Christmas wreath cupcakes
We’re taking a small batch of chocolate cupcakes (made without eggs), and decorating them like Christmas wreaths today! And then, we’re putting on a small amount of edible gold leaf, because these cupcakes are for Santa! They really need to be special!
I love making easy, approachable but CUTE holiday desserts for you, like my Christmas Lights Cookies. If you’re baking with kids, you know how much they love M&M candies, I’m sure!
I made a little video decorating the cupcakes, just so you could see how easy it is! I also shared this recipe in metric grams and standard American measurements. Truly, I want everyone to enjoy their own wreath cupcakes this holiday season.
Equipment for Christmas wreath cupcakes with M&Ms:
First, you need a cupcake pan with at least 6 cups, because this is a small batch recipe that makes just 6 cupcakes. Yes, you may absolutely double it, like I did with my Mummy Cupcakes and make a full dozen.
Then, you need a piping bag (you can use a ziplock bag if you don’t have one) fitted with 1M Open Star Tip. It’s the same tip I use on my wedding cake cupcakes. It’s the most widely available tip, and it’s usually the first one people buy. It also cups in a lot of cupcake decorating starter kits. It makes beautiful roses so easily, and it makes pretty Christmas wreath cupcakes, too.
You need mini M&Ms for decorating here. You can use regular-sized ones, if that’s all you can find. I find the mini M&Ms in a blue family-size bag in the candy aisle of the grocery store, but sometimes they’re in little plastic tubes by the register, too.
You’re wondering about the edible gold leaf, I know. It looks so fancy, but really couldn’t be easier, I promise. It comes in little sheets pressed between tissue paper, and you use a paintbrush to lift it off the paper and transfer it to your frosting. You can do as much or as little as you like.
Check out my Christmas recipes section for tons more cute cookies, candies, and festive treats on a small scale…because Santa doesn’t really need 3 dozen cookies, does he?
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 heaped tablespoons (18 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) canola oil*
- 1/4 cup + 2 TB (75 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
- 1 stick (113 grams) softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups (224 grams) confectioner's sugar (also called powdered sugar)
- 2 TB (30mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- green food gel coloring, however much you like
- mini M&M candies for decorating
- edible gold leaf (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350, and place 6 cupcake liners inside 6 muffin cups.
- Make the cupcakes: whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, vinegar, oil, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir until combined.
- Divide the batter into the 6 cups, and bake for 15-16 minutes, until the cupcakes spring back when you press on them lightly, or until an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely while you make the buttercream: beat together the butter, sugar, milk and vanilla extract until fluffy. If it seems dry, add extra milk to make it creamy.
- Frost the tops of the cupcakes with a thin layer of the plain frosting.
- Then, add green food gel coloring and mix the frosting again until you get your desired shade of green.
- Scrape the green frosting into a piping bag fitted with a 1M open star tip.
- Pipe a wreath shape on each cupcake, decorate with mini M&M candies and edible gold leaf.
*You can use any type of oil that is flavorless: canola, grapeseed, or vegetable oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g