I've got a little plan for your next date night. It involves one of you at the grill, and one of you in the kitchen. Don't worry, there's plenty of time to mingle in between. While the grill master flips the steaks, he has plenty of time to check on the wine level in your glass. Once the noodles are cooked and chilling in the bowl, you can check to make sure he has a plate to slide that gorgeous strip steak onto.
We've been eating some iteration of a cold noodle salad for dinner frequently. It's just too hot to cook anywhere except the grill. And, I never tire of cool, crisp, refreshing raw veggies either. Pile it all together in a single bowl, and you have a filling, healthy, easy dinner that you can riff on for ages.
To tie everything together, I use a quick Asian vinaigrette. I must admit that I usually eyeball mine, but I measured it out for you one night to get the flavors balanced perfectly. That said, taste it--your rice wine vinegar could be more pungent than mine and require a dash of sugar. Or, your palate may yearn for an extra squeeze of lime. It's yours to do with as you wish.
On top of the vinaigrette, I piled in all my favorites: julienned rainbow colored carrots, heaps of cilantro, and scallions sliced prettily on the biased. Add the noodles that have been cooling off in the sink while the steak cooks, and toss it all together. Once the steak rests, slice it and arrange on top. This meal pleases the meat-lover and the veggie-lover. I used Omaha's gorgeous 8-ounce strip steaks, because as you know, they are one of my sponsors this year and I love working with them. I hope you love this recipe!
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the rest:
- 2 8-oz New York Boneless Strip Steaks
- 9 oz soba noodles (or whole wheat spaghetti noodles)
- 7 baby carrots in assorted colors, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Taste and add salt as necessary.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan until very hot.
- Brush with neutral cooking oil if necessary, and sear the steaks on each side to your liking: medium is what I used for this recipe. It took about 5-7 minutes per side.
- Remove the steaks from the grill, and cover to let rest.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook the soba noodles according to the package directions.
- Drain, and rinse with cool water.
- To serve, slice the steak into thin slices.
- Add the steak to the serving bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.
- Add the noodles, julienned vegetables, cilantro, and scallions. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1352Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 926mgCarbohydrates: 224gFiber: 7gSugar: 152gProtein: 25g