If you just can’t wait to get your hands on my next cookbook, be sure to tune into QVC this Wednesday (8/19) night around 8:30pm EST to catch me promoting it! You can pre-order!
When I say ‘easiest,’ I mean it! Four ingredients to silky chocolate pie. Four!
Not to mention the crispy coconut crust up there. If there are better lovers in the dessert world than chocolate and coconut, I have not found them. While chocolate flirts with peanut butter on the side quite a bit, it always returns to its true coconut love.
Other things to mention: gluten free. This pie makes me want to run around exclaiming ‘I can’t believe it’s gluten free!’ Here’s the thing: I don’t specifically develop recipes to be with or without certain ingredients. I develop recipes to be delicious. But, it seems everyone and their dog is avoiding gluten these days (no, really–my dogs are gluten-free). I am always looking for recipes that only require a few ingredients. Because I’m always looking for the fastest way to get dessert in my mouth.
Chocolate + cream + coconut + butter = this pie!
I scaled this chocolate pie down from Martha Stewart’s Pies & Tarts cookbook. It’s part of my ongoing collaboration with the folks at Martha, where they say ‘hey, take this fantastic recipe and scale it down to serve two so I can eat both servings.’
And I say ‘sure thing!’ Everyone wins when it comes to mini pies.
So, while baking a big pie might be a weekend adventure, make this mini pie your weeknight venture. It comes together super quick, and your gluten free friends will love you. Your chocolate-free friends won’t, though. But that’s okay–more pie for you.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 7 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small food processor, pulse 1/3 of the coconut flakes with the butter. Pulse until the mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl. Sprinkle the remaining coconut on top, and combine with your fingers.
- Pack the coconut into a 6-inch pie pan, leaving the sides somewhat loose for crispy browning. Pack the bottom crust firmly, though.
- Use two long strips of foil to form ropes to shield the edges of the crust.
- Bake the crust on a sheet pan for 10 to 12 minutes. The center should begin to turn golden brown. Then remove the foil shield and continue to bake 4 to 6 minutes more. Watch carefully for burning.
- Let the crust cool completely before proceeding.
- Now it's time to make the filling! Bring the cream just to a boil in a small saucepan -- youâ??ll see bubbles around the edge of the pan. Then, remove the pan from the heat and combine the chocolate and the cream in a heatproof bowl. Give it a quick, gentle stir to ensure all of the chocolate is submerged in the cream, and then leave it alone. Walk away. Resist the urge to keep stirring. Ten minutes later, whisk it together and youâ??ll find the chocolate is smooth and silky. Thatâ??s it! You did it!
- Pour the mixture into the coconut crust.
- Refrigerate until chocolate sets, at least 3 hours.
- Slice and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 28gProtein: 2g