Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a chai tea girl, through and through. I’ve always got one in my hand. It’s usually hot, yes, even in the summer, but occasionally it’s icy and sometimes even frozen. I can never grow tired of my sweet, sweet chai.
I make a batch of chai concentrate weekly and keep it in the fridge. In the mornings, I add a glug of maple syrup to the bottom of a coffee mug, and steam my milk alongside. It’s never a bad day when it starts with chai.
I was wrapping up some work on my second cookbook (<–non-chalant pre-order link!) a few months ago, and wanted a little something to spruce up a small batch of banana muffins. I had the idea to stir my beloved chai spices into some whipped cream. One lick of the spoon, and I knew we would walk off into the sunset together forever–me and my chai whipped cream.
There’s nothing I wouldn’t put this whipped cream on.
First up: espresso granita.
Have you heard of a ‘dirty’ chai at Starbucks? They stir a shot of espresso into a hot chai. The flavor combo is perfecto. But a frozen dirty chai? Another walk-on-the-beach sunset, romantic moment for me.
Meet my soul mate, chai whip:
- Chai Whip:
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Espresso Granita:
- 1 1/2 cups hot espresso
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Whip the heavy cream in a clean, cold bowl. It helps to chill the beaters, too.
- Once soft peaks have formed, beat in the spices and sugar.
- Cover and store in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the hot espresso and sugar. Whisk very well to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour into a metal loaf pan, and place in the freezer.
- Scrape the espresso mixture every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours with a fork to 'fluff' up the ice crystals.
- Serve the granita with scoops of the chai whipped cream on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g