Have you heard that Alabama song “If you want to play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band?” If this post had a theme song it would be “If you want to impress a Texan, you gotta have Fritos on the plate.” And the Texan I’m trying to impress today? Miss Amber of Bluebonnets & Brownies. We are hosting an online virtual baby shower for her today!
Miss Amber is expecting a bouncing baby boy! I’m so excited for her and the Brit to welcome a sweet little boy. There’s nothing Miss Amber loves more than Frito chips. She did a series on her blog called Fritos Fridays where she dedicated posts to her favorite snack food. I knew I wanted to create a dessert using Fritos.
The Fritos in these cookies are awesome: they caramelize with the sugar and taste like bites of rice krispie treats inside the cookie. Insanely delicious, right?! I’m usually one of those people that can stop after just a few bites of a dessert, but I will admit, I’ve eaten at least half this batch. So, happy happy baby shower, Amber! You are so loved! Check out the other posts celebrating Amber’s impending bundle of joy:
Sugarcrafter | Breakfast Tostadas
My Kitchen Addiction | Baby Texan Cookies
My Baking Addiction | Texas Sheet Cake
Simple Bites | Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Charred Corn Salsa
Stetted | Queso Mac
Dessert For Two | Frito Chocolate Chip Cookies
Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Coconut Tres Leches Layer Cake
TidyMom | Pizza Bread Sticks
Miss in the Kitchen | Blackberry Milkshakes
Art of Gluten Free Baking | Peach-Pecan Pie, Gluten-Free
Bon Appetit Hon | Cheddar Ranch Crackers
Food Babbles | Southern Pecan Pie
Jelly Toast | Peach Iced Tea
Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle | Decorated Elephant Cookies
i am baker | Texas Brownie Cake
The Kitchen Trials | Coca-Cola Cake
Cookies & Cups | Sticky Toffee Pudding Cookies
A Farmgirl’s Dabbles | Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas
Steph Chows | Fiesta Dip
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Fritos corn chips, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a slicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the egg yolk and beat until combined.
- Sprinkle the flour and baking powder on top and mix briefly just to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and Fritos evenly.
- Scoop 12 dough balls (make firm balls for the best cookie shape), and space evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges of the cookies begin to brown.
Softened butter is not room temperature. Softened butter has been sitting out at a room temperature for no more than an hour. You should be able to make your fingerprint in it. If your butter is too warm, the cookies spread too much while baking.