First, promise me something: Promise me that you will not hide these frozen mocha brownie bites from your husband. Promise me that you won’t wrap them individually in plastic wrap and store them inside a bag of frozen asparagus in the back of the freezer. Because that would be selfish. And also, there’s a chance that after you sneak one and head back to the couch, you will have a tell-all chocolate stain on your lip, which might lead to questions from your husband, which might lead to an awkward confession.
Not that I would know…
To make these, we’re going to use a mini muffin pan to make mini brownie bites. We’re going to top them with a scoop of coffee ice cream (the best ice cream flavor in the world, Amen!). After a quick jaunt in the freezer, we’re going to dunk them in magic shell (melted chocolate + coconut oil). You’re so very welcome.
If you have willpower (what is that?) and won’t be eating all 6 brownie bites in one sitting, you should store the brownies at room temperature and pop them back into the muffin pan for their ice cream topping later. You can store them already assembled tightly wrapped in the freezer (not in an asparagus bag), but beware!: let them sit on the counter for at least 10 minutes before trying to eat them. You will break a tooth on frozen brownie if you don’t! The magic shell will hold in any ice cream that softens while the brownies defrost slightly.
Here’s what they look like before dunking:
The beauty of magic shell is that it hardens immediately when it touches the ice cream. Dunk them quickly and serve.
Just to be clear: these brownie bites are for sharing. Sharing, I say! They are not personal two-bite desserts to be hoarded in the freezer for anytime you have a bad day.
Not that I would know…
For the brownies:
- a dab of oil for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk, egg white reserved for another use
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
For the rest:
- 1/2 cup coffee flavored ice cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons solid coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease 6 cups in a nonstick mini muffin pan lightly with oil. I do not recommend using cooking spray; the chemical propellants in cooking spray can be tasted when dealing with small amounts of ingredients. Use a paper towel to rub oil in each muffin cup.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Be careful to not let it boil, just melt it gently. Add the cocoa powder and sugar and stir well. Add the egg yolk and stir again. The batter might seem a little thick, keep going. Finally, stir in the vanilla, salt and flour. Scoop the batter into each muffin cup and use your finger to press it into a flat disk. Bake for 11 minutes. Do not overbake: at 11 minutes, they might look slightly underdone. Remove them from the oven at 11 minutes and allow them to cool completely in the pan.
- Once the brownies are completely cool, let the ice cream soften slightly on the counter. Add a scoop of ice cream on top of each brownie. Use the back of a spoon dipped in hot water to press it flat. Place the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and coconut oil. Have ready for dunking. Remove the brownie bites from the freezer and dunk each into the magic shell topping quickly. Serve immediately.