Gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Small batch cookie recipe makes 6 cookies.
My Mom is coming to visit this week to help stock my freezer with meals for post-baby. This means that all those odd bits and pieces of things in my freezer must go.
I’ve got to make room for frozen casseroles, soups, and other meal-prep related things! I can’t think of a better thing in the world than a whole freezer full of food made with love by Mom.
Everything must go in order to make way for all the love!
All of this led me to a bag of almond flour on the bottom shelf of the freezer. I’m positive it’s at least a year old. I can’t even remember why I bought it.
I was reading a restaurant critic’s article the other day (I don’t habitually read restaurant critiques, as I am always shocked by how rude they can be), but anyway, the critic mentioned the one instance when a gluten free cookie was a better version than the original.
He said chewy cookies are chewier when gluten-free. I have to agree. So it got me thinking about my favorite cookie: a chewy, chocolaty little babe.
So, I decided to make it gluten free for the sake of chewiness. Not for the sake of avoiding a food group or anything. There are no food groups I avoid these days. Have you seen this belly?
Those are all for me.
I will happily munch of these cookies while my mom makes a quadruple batch of meatballs, two pans of King Ranch Chicken, and a few pie dishes of Baked Spaghetti to get me through those first few weeks with a new baby. If we’re not going to be able to sleep, then we should be able to eat well, right?
You want some gluten free chocolate chip cookies too?
Little note: almond meal isn’t the same as almond flour. Almond meal is ground up almonds, unsifted. You’ll see the brown flecks of the almond skin in it. I get my almond meal here.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup almond meal (unsifted)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch)
- 1/3 cup (heaping) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter, sugars, egg yolk and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salt, baking powder, almond meal, and cocoa powder.
- Add this to the wet ingredients, and stir to combine. Since there's no gluten, we can stir all we want without worrying about tough cookies!
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Space the cookies evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (The cookies don't spread as much when baked on a silicone mat). Lightly form the cookies into balls, and press flat gently.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, until fragrant and the top of the cookies appear dry.
- Remove the cookies from the baking sheet immediately when they come out of the oven, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 6g