Funfetti cupcake recipe that makes 6 cupcakes, made from scratch! Homemade funfetti cupcakes are perfect for a half birthday cake or a kids birthday cupcake celebration!
Can we get happy all up in here today? Seriously. I know it's Monday, but there are great things happening in the world!
I'm celebrating the fact that 3 of my friends all gave birth to healthy, sweet little babes all within 3 weeks of each other. (Two of my friends gave birth at home without drugs <insert stunned/shock & awe emoji here!>)
A healthy babe is the greatest thing you could ever ask for in life, and I am just filled with so much joy these day because of it! I'm not going to lie--I have seen friends go through tragic things with their kids this past year. Those kinds of things don't really hit you the same way they did before you have kids, ya know? So, I've realized lately how special, wonderful, and magical it is to have healthy babes!
And nothing says gratitude like sprinkles?
I created this funfetti cupcake recipe that makes 6 cupcakes so that we can work a little more sprinkles into our everyday lives.
A small batch of cupcakes makes everyone happy, doesn't it?
This is the first funfetti recipe on this site. Shocker, I know. It's just that, I always thought funfetti had to made with the cake mix and canned frosting, and those two things are not allowed in my house. But, tons of butter and sugar that I make at home? No problem!
Update: I actually made a mini funfetti cake in a 6 inch cake pan recently, and I love it! For date nights, I created these funfetti cakes from scratch in ramekins. I love making small cakes for two in ramekins to enjoy as a romantic dessert.
I should mention these are actually funfetti ANGEL FOOD cupcakes. I wanted light and fluffy cupcakes punctuated with sprinkles, so I made a small batch of angel food cake batter.
I was hoping this recipe would make a dent in my sprinkles collection, but it hasn't. That just means I have to triple it and make more, right? Who's coming over to help me get happy and eat pretty cupcakes?
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons multi-colored sprinkles
For the frosting:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream, for thinning
- Preheat the oven to 350, and place 6 paper liners in a cupcake pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Sift it back into another bowl, and repeat one more time for a total of 3 siftings.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on high until foamy (about 30 seconds). Once foamy, add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form (about 2 minutes).
- Next, slowly stream the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, into the egg whites while beating. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Finally, gently fold in the flour mixture to the egg white and sugar mixture using a rubber spatula. Proper folding technique is down the middle and sweep the sides of the bowl. Don't deflate the batter by stirring too vigorously!
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Divide the batter amount the cupcake liners and bake for 17-19 minutes, until the tops of the cupcakes are starting to lightly brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool near the oven. They will shrink, but they will still have flat or slightly domed tops (angel food shrinks when cooling).
- Once the cupcakes are cool, beat together all of the frosting ingredients, using milk to thin it as needed.
- Frost the cupcakes with the frosting, decorate with more sprinkles, and enjoy!
This recipe makes just 6 cupcakes, but can doubled to make a full dozen. Follow the recipe exactly to double--use 6 egg whites. These are fluffy cupcakes similar to angel food cake!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 0gSugar: 40gProtein: 3g